First Impressions - Deere D105

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up my John Deere D105 42" riding mower today. I hang my head in shame since I picked it up from a box store, and not a Deere dealer. Deere sets these things up pretty well from the factory, but some fine-tuning at the dealer or end user point is necessary. Mine didn't get any pre-delivery inspection aside from tossing it onto the trailer and carting it off after it was taken off the shipping pallet. The major grease points such as wheels were already greased well, but the deck spindles weren't. I'll remedy that pretty soon, along with setting the gage wheels and adjusting the deck. There's a real owner's manual included with how to do many common maintenance tasks, with instructions and illustrations. While it was on the trailer, I hit most of the moving parts with Fluid Film to make eventual disassembly easier when maintenance needs to be done. I did not get a chance to mow with it, but I will update once I get the chance to put it through its paces mowing.

First, obligatory shot of the D105 being towed behind my Cruze (towed it fine, and I had started removing the tie-downs before taking this photo):

This is about the easiest-driving riding mower I've driven. Put it in F, hit the go-pedal, and it goes. The General Transmissions GT400 CVT is pretty seamless, with no jerking or other untoward behavior. It sounds like a moped or go-kart CVT. The steering is quite light considering that most of the weight is on the front axle. Turning radius is okay, but not great like some MTD "turn-tight" machines. The machine felt agile enough dodging around obstacles in the yard. Going across a drainage swale didn't seem to upset it. The seating position is high, so there is a good view of the yard ahead. The seat slides so folks with different-sized legs can get comfy.

Noise-wise, the Briggs engine was loud, but not objectionably so. Earplugs are recommended for extended use, though. It was smooth enough for a single-cylinder Briggs. I felt a few vibrations at idle, but not that many. It's no Kawasaki, but for what it is it's smooth enough. Interestingly, the gas tank is located under the seat. I like this arrangement since it eliminates the likely good chance of a EPA gas can leaking gas all over a hot engine while re-fueling.

The deck is very easy to lower and raise. There must be a brake or assist spring somewhere, since it will stay in position without the selector being in a detent.

Now, the new-fangled CVT "automatic". It works, and works well. Time will tell how well it holds up. Here are some photos of it:

The unit itself:

Adjustable pulley. Note the beefy ridged drive belt:

Other end with power from the engine:

I don't anticipate ever doing anything to that transmission except maybe replacing the belts or a spring on the variator. Seeing the video on the abuse it went through during testing convinced me that it would hold up for a good long while.

Overall, I'm happy with the machine. While there certainly are much cheaper 42" riding mowers, they're not built or documented as well as the D105. There are lots of little touches to make living with it easier. The designers laid this machine out so routine service could be done fairly efficiently. Seeing all the little things and how they would save me hassle a few summers from now sold me on this machine.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Exhaust noise can be dealt with by removing the muffler and adding a glasspack muffler.
A little creative welding is needed, I got the local high school auto shop to do it, as they were working only on the muffler and not the tractor...
(breaking the muffler is not an issue, just buy another)

http://www.cherrybomb.com/Catalog/glasspack_3_12_body_straight_tubes/glasspack-87520.aspx

Was this serious? Or are you joking?

Is that trans case (first pic) plastic? Hopefully, that's just poor lighting. If it is, then the battle for quality and durability is lost.

One of those will probably work well if you have a small, fairly flat lawn. Congratulations.

I'm not a fan of the fender mounted shifter-I always preferred the dual pedal system that the garden tractors have. But for a lawn-only mower it's probably fine.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
One of those will probably work well if you have a small, fairly flat lawn. Congratulations.

I'm not a fan of the fender mounted shifter-I always preferred the dual pedal system that the garden tractors have. But for a lawn-only mower it's probably fine.

My lawn is quite flat, and it's only 1/2 acre. This should be fine for cutting it. I'm not planning on pulling anything more than a small yard cart.

Yes, the transmission is glass-reinforced nylon. All that's inside it is a reverse gear and differential gear set. The speed-controlling parts are external. It was either this or a T40 hydro. Knowing how weak the T40 is, I'll take my chances on a simpler, more serviceable, cheaper to replace if needed transmission.

I think you chose the right tool for your circumstances.

I personally have no problem with nylon/plastic whatever.

I've got that same trans on our riding mower, it's an Ariens. Nothing wrong with it. I like it because it's much simpler than the hydrostatics. So there should be less to fail since those low end hydro units are "nor serviceable" and a PITA to deal with it should be fine. Since we have a decent hill in our yard, I think it will be better than a hydro as they say hills are murder on the low end units.

My only issue is it's dog slow in reverse (I think all the new units are due to idiots running junk over) and sometimes the reverse-forward or forward-reverse can be a little jerky but I may have to grease something or adjust the pedal.

Ive got no issue with plastic/nylon. Look under the hood of a modern car - lots of plastic - intakes, valve covers, etc. It all holds up fine there.

Last edited:
That is a nice looking machine! It fits on that trailer perfectly! I wouldn't be too disappointed about buying it at the box store versus the dealer. The dealer sells the same model, but they charge more for it. They are the same machine, and the only difference is the pre-delivery inspection as you noticed. The only difference with the dealer is they offer the higher end garden tractor models with the Kawasaki engines that aren't found at the box store.

I like that these have greaseable deck spindles. A lot of the MTD and Craftsman machines don't. What kind of mowing will you be doing? I've had great luck with Gator blades on those 42" Deere decks. They chop the clippings up really fine for mulching.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I like that these have greaseable deck spindles. A lot of the MTD and Craftsman machines don't. What kind of mowing will you be doing? I've had great luck with Gator blades on those 42" Deere decks. They chop the clippings up really fine for mulching.

I'll be doing almost exclusively mulching. Maybe side-discharge if it ever gets really long, and followed up by a mulching run.

Right now I have the mulching cover for it and the factory 3 in 1 blades. I'll see how those do with mulching, and spring for the Gators if I'm not satisfied with the factory blades.

I completed my own PDI, and now it's sitting in the shed waiting for the grass to grow long enough to need cutting.

That is a nice looking machine! It fits on that trailer perfectly! I wouldn't be too disappointed about buying it at the box store versus the dealer. The dealer sells the same model, but they charge more for it. They are the same machine, and the only difference is the pre-delivery inspection as you noticed. The only difference with the dealer is they offer the higher end garden tractor models with the Kawasaki engines that aren't found at the box store.

The JD dealer sells the box store models for the exact same price as the box stores do! People commonly think they are getting a better deal at the box store, but not true. I live 2 miles from a JD dealer and have compared prices.

I would rather buy from the dealer if you can. They will make sure it is set up properly. It also helps to establish that relationship with the dealer, since they will be doing any warranty work.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

I completed my own PDI, and now it's sitting in the shed waiting for the grass to grow long enough to need cutting.

Lucky you! I'm already 2 cuts into the season here in Central PA! Late fall fertilization really perked things up.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Nice looking machine. How did you get it on and off your trailer?

For getting on, the store had a set of ramps. 3 folks pushed it up the ramps onto the trailer. For getting it off, I tilted the trailer slightly onto a pair of Rhino Ramps and backed the mower off. It was pretty easy. This 450 lb. machine rolls pretty easily.

I got a slightly better deal at the box store since they had a free dump cart that wasn't available at the dealer. Being slightly handy, I figured I'd skip the dealer-done PDI for an implement that will come in useful. The price was the same for both, but the price purchased me more at the box store. Sad to say.

Looks great! I've never operated or mowed with a Deere I didn't like.

I'm curious how these CVTs hold up over time. Cheaper hydrostatics can have issues stemming from the cases flexing on them- and they're aluminum. A composite material like this is interesting for sure.

For getting on, the store had a set of ramps. 3 folks pushed it up the ramps onto the trailer. For getting it off, I tilted the trailer slightly onto a pair of Rhino Ramps and backed the mower off. It was pretty easy. This 450 lb. machine rolls pretty easily.

I got a slightly better deal at the box store since they had a free dump cart that wasn't available at the dealer. Being slightly handy, I figured I'd skip the dealer-done PDI for an implement that will come in useful. The price was the same for both, but the price purchased me more at the box store. Sad to say.

Which dump cart did you get? They threw in a Deere 10P cart when we bought ours 9 years ago. That cart has been through it all and still looks great. The cart is a poly one, and at first I was a little skeptical, but it has held up quite well. It also has greaseable wheel bearings.

Yes, the transmission is glass-reinforced nylon. All that's inside it is a reverse gear and differential gear set. The speed-controlling parts are external.

I see. I guess in the end, it really doesn't matter.

Which dump cart did you get? They threw in a Deere 10P cart when we bought ours 9 years ago. That cart has been through it all and still looks great. The cart is a poly one, and at first I was a little skeptical, but it has held up quite well. It also has greaseable wheel bearings.

They gave me a $100 9 cubic foot all-steel cart since they were all out of the poly Deere carts. Apparently Deere makes a promotional version of the cart, which is the one I would have received had they had any. I haven't put the steel cart together yet. Worst case I put it on Craigslist and get another one if it doesn't work out.

I'm hoping the nylon CVT holds up well. It certainly looks like a well-built unit. At this price point it's either this transmission or a cheap hydro. Having heard horror stories about the cheap hydros being junk, rolling the dice on a simpler, more serviceable transmission seemed like a good gamble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back