First Gen Mazda 3, which filter do you use/would choose?

Hi all, for those who've owned these first gen mazda 3's 2.0L (04-09), what's your choice of oil filter, or what would you recommend... Was thinking Motorcraft Fl910s, or wix 51348... I know lots of people here like wix, but they're a littler pricer... cost doesn't matter, just wondering if these are picky engines or not. I'm doing 6k mile oil changes, synthetic 5w20 as per owners manual

A first-gen Mazda3 that's still safe to drive? Proof that Krown works :D

The non-XP Wix is probably a Purolator now, and of course Motorcraft has been Purolator for a long time. A Fram 3614 would be better than any Purolator.

If you still prefer Wix, get the XP

Why would the filter matter?
That's what I'm asking basically... Does it? Are certain makes and models more picky? In my 01 accord I threw the cheapest filters at it, but I was also doing 3k oil changes... My 02 Jetta tdi that sees 6k miles or higher oil changes I use Mann, hengst, etc

Go OE and scope out the parts department personnel if you haven't already. See how many bays are working at the dealership etc.

There was a 6 month delay in availability for a WIX or Hastings filter for Sis' new 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv.
Both company's earlier 2.0l filters fit perfect but the bypass pressure had been changed.
I bleat WIX and Hastings care to make proper products.

Buy an OE and another good one and compare.

You can go with what you like, but the wix only filters at 95% same as the Fram extra guard. If you were going to spend over $10 for a wix, just get the Fram xg3614. Even if you only use it for 6k it’ll keep your oil looking brand new. Wix gets put on a tower but they’re nothing special especially the XP version. Walmart has the xg3614 in abundance, and they’re less than $10

Well for the price, Fram xg and wix XP are substantially more the an OE filter from the dealer. A none wix XP filter can be had for roughly 8 bucks cad, and the dealer filter is 11.30 bucks without discount. I was leaning towards wix since every thread I've read here in the past, people were raving about them, but if the regular wix is nothing special versus the orange can Fram, I'll go OE for a few extra bucks

Well for the price, Fram xg and wix XP are substantially more the an OE filter from the dealer. A none wix XP filter can be had for roughly 8 bucks cad, and the dealer filter is 11.30 bucks without discount. I was leaning towards wix since every thread I've read here in the past, people were raving about them, but if the regular wix is nothing special versus the orange can Fram, I'll go OE for a few extra bucks
Just remember most Oem filters favor flow over filtration. With Fram ultra synthetic you get both. I’ve been running a Fram ultra on my car for almost 5k and the oil looks new still. I highly doubt it would be the same with a Oem filter

I was leaning towards wix since every thread I've read here in the past, people were raving about them, but if the regular wix is nothing special versus the orange can Fram, I'll go OE for a few extra bucks
I haven't seen any raving of WIX for many years.

Obviously YMMV but the FL-910S at my local Ford dealer is cheaper than anything else I can find locally, $6 and change. Hard to beat that.

Otherwise, I'd be buying the Motomaster or Fram whenever they went on sale.

Last edited:
Back