First flat tire in years, but was expecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago when doing brakes I noticed this bubble in the inner sidewall.

[Linked Image]

Ordered a matching replacement on Ebay just in case it blows, but tread was like new so I wanted to get as much use out of it as possible. Driving around today I noticed a little shake in the steering wheel. Pretty much figured it was that tire getting worse. Was 50 miles from home so I thought I could make it. Nope. Half way home I took an exit to get gas and on the off ramp I hear lot pop. Pull off to the shoulder and take a look. Tire isn't flat but I can hear a hissing sound so something let go. Put the spare on and continued home. Looks like the rubber in the sidewall separated.

[Linked Image]

I nice warning to the rest of us, who might think minimize the severity of a sidewall bubble. Thanks!

I'm glad you were prepared and not irked by the eventuality of its letting go.
11.gif

Is that the same tire? Looks like it burst in a different place than where the bubble was.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Is that the same tire? Looks like it burst in a different place than where the bubble was.

Yes, and you're right. Would take another look but tire is gone.

Back as a teen I had a tire get a bulge--drove home one night and a tire was out of balance. Next morning, saw the bulge, had places to be. Didn't make it 10 miles before it blew. Ripped the tire from bead to bead. Don't think the tire had 20 miles on it, between going bad and going kabloey.

Moral of the story: see a bulge, condemn the tire, on the spot. Not even worth limping around on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back