First cold start with GC...impressions/thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
(which is the older 0w30 Syntec)

I thought you couldn't make a 0w-30 with a group 3 base stock. Wouldn't this make the US version 0w-30 Castrol a group 4?

Originally posted by Dr. T:
[QB] 97tbird, maybe it's something else like clogged fuel injectors...hard starts and rough idle shouldn't be oil releated per se...
---------------------

Dr.T,

I don't have any typical hard starts. The car starts on 1st try, like it has always done. It's the idle which is generally noisier/rougher.

I went back and read almost all the posts on GC so far; there are at least 3 people who had the same symptoms with their engines (general noise/vibration increase) like I have experienced after switching to GC. However, considering the no. of succesful GC users, I'd think there are only a few types of engines for which GC isn't the best match...or a very good match.

OFF TOPIC: which internet oil shop might have the Chevron High Mileage oils for order? seems like the only option, as there are no Kragen/Checkers in this state.

That was asked on BITOG before, but I've seen a Semi-synthetic 0-30, so it must be possible.

Remember, that in order to achieve such a low point point/CCS number (-35C) there must be a higher ester content or a very low PP ester.

Tbird,

I am running GC in a 93 Honda Accord with close to 120K miles on it. I also noticed increased noise and vibration on cold starts. Once the oil gets up to temperature, however, there is basically no difference in how the engine runs compared to my old oil (Pennz 10W-30).

I am about 3K into what I think will be 7K miles on the GC. Jury is still out for me. I will probably run Pennz HM 10W-30 or 40 for the hot weather months. Most of the year I'd like to run a full synthetic as the car sees a lot of short trips and little highway mileage.

quote:

Originally posted by biscuitboy:
Tbird,

I am running GC in a 93 Honda Accord with close to 120K miles on it. I also noticed increased noise and vibration on cold starts. Once the oil gets up to temperature, however, there is basically no difference in how the engine runs compared to my old oil (Pennz 10W-30).

----------------------------------------
that's sort of similar to what happened to me. While driving, it seems fine. after warm up, the idle is ALMOST fine, but not 100%.
I guess it's all about compatibilty of engines/oils.
not every oil is good for every engine type, which is a good thing, otherwise this site would not be there, and also the fun/excitement of the "oil-quest" will be gone
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
GC is our short form for German Castrol. Castrol has been selling Formula SLX 0w30 from Germany under the Syntec 0w30 label here in North America for about a year now. If you're looking for it, it's only sold in Autozone and it must say made in Germany on the back, not made in USA (which is the older 0w30 Syntec)

I actually found the 0W30 Syntec at my local Wal-Mart. It was $6.66 CDN. I don't know how that compares to Autozone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back