First attempt at selective colorization

Status
Not open for further replies.
blueeyes6.jpg

Look closely. The eyes are in color. Oddly enough, the blue eyes stood out more in the color version of this pic. All of the gray tends to make the blue harder to see. All in all though I think it turned out well. This technique is something I plan on messing with more in the future.

It is a neat effect. Here's a couple from one of my autocrosses. Not my car unfortunately.
DSC_0640-2.jpg

And the original. It almost seems like the blue car stands out more in full colour too.
DSC_0640-1.jpg

The autocross pic is very well done, with excellent contrast. Would you be surprised if I said the first thing I noticed was actually the Mk4 Jetta parked behind the fence? LOL...

My favorite photo effect is where all the objects surrounding the subject of the photo, are made fuzzy. If done properly, it can make any car look almost like a die-cast model. I have no idea how to do it myself; I've only seen it online.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
My favorite photo effect is where all the objects surrounding the subject of the photo, are made fuzzy. If done properly, it can make any car look almost like a die-cast model. I have no idea how to do it myself; I've only seen it online.

Tilt shift?

http://tiltshiftmaker.com/

So you create two layers one BW and the other one in color. The BW is below the color. Then start cleaning up the color layer in the places that are not needed. Once done, merge and save.

Is this how you did it?

I've played a little with it also. Here is one of mine.

Canoe.jpg

the basic idea is you create a desaturated layer on top of the color layer then you erase the B&W layer to reveal the color underneath.

Not really the same idea, but conceptually similar abstractions of color. It's amazing what one can do in PS. . .
Elena-Hi-Contrast-DL1.jpg

p.s. that is my 15 year-old daughter. This is a self-portrait, which I manipulated in PS. The version linked here is very substantially reduced in size so as not to swamp everyone's bandwidth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back