first 100 miles into arx scaring me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am with Big O Dave. There is a lot that can or can’t happen. If the stuff works for them, and they get noises, they will blame the ARX, and rightly so, and will complain and possibly threaten. If it doesn’t work, then they will ask why they spent all that money and time on a product that didn’t do anything.

Dude, the product didn't make the oil pressure do ANYTHING wrong, simply the sensor was being cleaned and this has been recoreded MANY MANY TIMES.

No harm done, its like when you dont screw your gas cap down all the way, no real damage, and its only temporary.

i'm into my rinse phase... if the oil lamp comes on i will **** potatoes and shut it off... i mean seriously
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by souroull:
i'm into my rinse phase... if the oil lamp comes on i will **** potatoes and shut it off... i mean seriously
smile.gif

It's too bad you'd jump to conclusions and freak out, especially if you're a regular visitor to BITOG, where it is well-documented that indicator lights and gauges do weird things under the influence of ARX...

...but you do illustrate my point exactly, that some people don't understand and/or want to understand the nuances of this product or of the internal workings of their engines.

I'd recommend that you don't stress out if a light comes on or your gauge indicates irregular behavior... after all, ARX doesn't break oil pumps or cause bearings to disappear.

And besides, now you know better, right?
wink.gif

I have had it happen, and even though I had read about the fluctuating gauges, it turned what should have been a relaxing 4 hour trip through the country enjoying the scenery into a trip spent constantly checking an oil gauge showing almost no oil pressure while driving at highway speeds.

In effect, you have no oil gauge (or light) until the sensor starts working normally again. If you should actually lose oil pressure, there is no way to know it, other than by the sound of your engine breaking. I know the probability of this happening during those hours is small, but it seems real at the time.

OK. Now I understand the "cleaning" of the oil psi sender causes the gauge issues. It would be interesting to see if a mechanical oil psi gauge would be affected as well.

update:

I'm about 1100 miles into the cleaning cycle...

So... i'll go over the whole experience up till this point..

1. changed oil and filter and poored a full 12oz bottle of arx in with the 5.7qt sump.
2. within 50 miles, the hydrolic lifter ticking, that my isuzu is prone to, got significantly louder, scary loud.
3. at 250 miles, I decided to try changing out the filter to retore any lost flow from contamination, using a parcially-pre-used filter for a little while,(experiment) in hopes of reducing the noise. Topped off with oil (about 1/2qt).
4. The noise seemed to get slightly quieter, though, it may have been in my head (false hopes enfluencing me).
5. I decided to change the filter again at about 500 miles in(1/2qt top off again)... to a new one... the noise seemed to continue at the same level it had been before.
5. after another 500 miles(~1k into the clean cycle), the noise, overall, didn't change much... though I noticed instances, where it would suddenly, get very loud, or then very quiet, back and forth on occasion.
6. At 1000 miles into the treatment, I checked the oil, and topped off about 3/4qt that had burned off, and also poored about 3 extra ounces of ARX in there to keep things in balance from top-offs. to help the remaining 500 miles or so. The topoff oil I used this morning, was delo 400, (had been using 5w30 supertech for the clean phase up till this point).
7. between 1000, and 1100 miles, the ticking, has disipated significantly. I don't know if the delo had anything to do with it, maybe the fresh oil helps wash away some stuff. I don't know.... But the engine really quieted down in this last 100 miles or so.(similar to the way it sounded on GC)

I'm going to continue through the clean cycle, and rinse cycle untill complete... I'll report back as things play out.. at this point, i'm a thumbs-up on ARX... Even with all the noise that was happening there for awhile, The but-dyno had something to say about compression that was positive.

I'm excited at this point. really can't wait to get the rinse phase going.

quote:

Originally posted by Big O Dave:

quote:

Originally posted by souroull:
smile.gif

It's too bad you'd jump to conclusions and freak out, especially if you're a regular visitor to BITOG, where it is well-documented that indicator lights and gauges do weird things under the influence of ARX...

...but you do illustrate my point exactly, that some people don't understand and/or want to understand the nuances of this product or of the internal workings of their engines.

I'd recommend that you don't stress out if a light comes on or your gauge indicates irregular behavior... after all, ARX doesn't break oil pumps or cause bearings to disappear.

And besides, now you know better, right?
wink.gif

would you or BITOG like to pick up the bill for a $6.5k engine (+labor) ?
my car has a history of oil pump nut failures... i have to admit that its not THAT common, but it happens. a-rx or not, i'm shutting it down.
i guess i should have mentioned that earlier
wink.gif
, but hey, at least now we both know better:)

Why not buy a mechanical oil guage ? you not losing oil pressure light blinks because internal engine parts including sensors are dirty. If your losing oil pumps your engine must be pretty filthy and you have particulates stopping up the pump. Finish the Auto-Rx and than run a maintenace dose you won't have to worry about oil pumps going out. Would guess you have a double overhead cam engine with high pressure oil pump.After rinse cycle light will go out and stay that way. Auto-Rx can do no harm.

99-

all these times you think an idiot light type oil pressure light or gauge is "accurate"? At the beginning I would say yes. After a year or 2 of service in an engine oil passage way, I don't think so.

I have serviced many bad oil pressure switches and sender gauge failures (due to dirt accumulation in the oil passageways) that even VDO would have failed on me (3 occasions). Never learn to trust a gauge if it fluctuates and you know 100% you have good oil pressue to begin with.

Yes, running AutoRx did that same thing on my Mazda B6 block (oil pressure light didn't come on during the first startup in the morning. With a mechanical oil pressure gauge on hand, I checked and re-checked numerous times that there was indeed proper oil pressure in the system....)

Wanna know something funky about AutoRx? try running that in Camry's power steering system (it uses a hydraulic radiator fan that runs off of the same pwr steering fluid reservoir. Running AutoRx on my wifey's Camry power steering system, we took a trip out of town and the cooling fan didn't kick off.....fortunately, we were coasting down the freeway so enough air to cool the radiator...After the pwr steering flush completed and replaced with Full sync Dexron-II, everything came back normal again and the power steering system is smooth as silk!

my feeling about ARX- is that, there are rare circumstances, where it should be used with caution,.. if cleaning takes place, in such a way, that some areas restore flow and decrease pressure enough for other plugged areas not to be able to get flow for a long time, then damage *could* occurr. These particular circumstances however... would have been inevitable whether the arx was used or not. people might try to blame arx for engine damage, which would be horrifically wrong.

I think Frank is really on to something with this, oil can only lubricate clean metal parts. The restoration of flow to those parts, along with having those parts clean, is key to an engine lasting a really long time...

I can also vouch for some slightly bizzare oil-pressure guage behavior... it's been lower at idle than it used to be, which is to be expected if the oil is flowing easier through galleys... During driving under a load around 2000rpm, I noticed the oil pressure guage occassionally bouncing around, from 25-40psi range... This didn't bother me at all though. I knew I had oil flow, everything was running really well at the time.

I decided i'm going to mix delo 400 and supertech 5w30 for the rinse phase. My thinking being that I want something thinner than 15w40 for winter, but I want some more addatives to help clean up and keep things stabilized during the rinse. Not to mention, I have about 3 quarts of delo sitting in the garage already.

quote:

update??

so.... Most of my updates... have been in the form of other posts... but things did finally clear up...

i ran the motorcraft for about 300 miles... switched to a cheapo supertech for awhile to see how things would go.. topped off etc...

I just let the ticking happen...

at about 900 miles into the arx clean phase, all the sudden, after a topoff, and a little more arx added, it was like, the magic wand (that i have mentioned in other threads already)... the ticking quited down to nearly inaudible... the engine is running stronger than ever. Oil consumption through the last 500 miles of the clean phase seems to have deminished a lot... I'm very happy thus far.

Guys, I thick you guys have the wrong idea about your oil galleys. First unless you are abuseign your vechile you should never see any aprecable buildup in the galleys. These are not like pipes in your home subject to all kinds of thick nasty grease. Rember the galleys are always under pressure, always vibrateing,always exposed to hot oil, always exposed to oil with additives in them, etc..... You have to over extend your oil changes or use very cheap oil to produce varnish or sludge in large quanities to plug up oil galleys. Sure it happens but not to people as insane about their oil as most BITOG'er!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back