Fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is one reason why I hate them:

DSCF0051.jpg

It bothers me to find a small parachute that had a burning device attached to it in my front yard, a dozen feet from the house. This is legal? Crazy.

We are having a problem with flying lanterns at the moment - they are a hot air balloon,and fly off in the wind anywhere....like into forests,and it's summer here.

If you are against fireworks on new years then you are unAmerican and do not deserve to enjoy such a fine country.

I would probably see that if you had said the 4th of July ..

..and he may or may not be for or against fireworks ..but he's definitely against burning stuff falling on his house.

I would think that the design of the flare would have it attain an altitude that would have its fuel source expire before it lands. Some times I'm sure it fails in a couple of ways.

It's not actually fireworks.
It's a model rocket engine.
After the engine burns down,a cap blows the cone off the rocket,and the parachute is supposedly used to bring the rocket down safely.
It's been years since I flew model rockets,but I rarely retrieve them.
They travel for miles.
Enjoy your find.

It's a firework.

Before they were banned in Oz, I saw quite a few of those.

Oz, New Year, and fireworks aren't a pretty combination.

I am not unAmerican but I do not like fireworks. I live at the edge of town (about 7 miles to the city limits) and with all the trees and woods around my property I worry when people are shooting off fireworks. Dry pine needles, leaves, etc. can ignite quickly. I mow 1 3/4 acres but I do not rake everything up. I am in favor of an organized fireworks display but that is all. I know all the reasons for wanting to do your own and each person thinks they are extra careful but it only takes 1 mistake to injure someone or set a fire.

I love fireworks but hate reckless dumb kids using them.

In NYC if you even say the word fireworks, the police come and light your underwear on fire.

Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
It's not actually fireworks.
It's a model rocket engine.
After the engine burns down,a cap blows the cone off the rocket,and the parachute is supposedly used to bring the rocket down safely.
It's been years since I flew model rockets,but I rarely retrieve them.
They travel for miles.
Enjoy your find.

I know nothing of rocket engines but it seems too coincidental to find this the day after the twice-a-year "artillery barrage" that the people down the street host.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Fireworks is better than going out drunk at midnight and emptying the clip of your 45acp into the air ....

Every July 4TH and every New Years Eve someone in Miami empties their clip in the air and someone gets injured or killed...A visiting kid from Italy [around 7 years old] will be in the ICU for the next three days at Jackson Memorial Hospital due to some idiot emptying his clip in the air in downtown Miami in the design district....Last year on July 4TH someone shot into a couch that was outside and killed a kid who was just sitting behind the empty a couch.

Most of the worry over "burning debris" is completely unfounded. Just because something that GOT burnt landed on your property, doesn't mean it was burning when it landed there.

"Organized" shows still have the same, if not more, falling debris...

Simply the idea of wanting to take away a right from someone else, because YOU don't like what they're doing, is, by definition, unAmerican.

Let me put it this way: If we banned everything that some moron could use to cause a fire or injury by using the device incorrectly, then we wouldn't have anything left. Not even Tylenol. Or cars. (I bet there were a lot more car crashes on new years than fires)

Until this year, I had never said a word to any of my neighbors who shoot fireworks off. This year, I lost it on the 4th of July. Its midnight, the neighbor is launching "big" stuff, and it is going off over my house with stuff still ignited falling past my windows. My 2 year old wakes up screaming in terror at the fire going past her window.

I told them to knock it off and was greeted with a "Happy 4th of July to you too". I told them to launch all the fireworks you want just not at my house.

I picked all the [censored] up out of my yard and off the roof in separate bags, visited the neighbor the next day and showed him the amount of stuff that was on the roof and in my yard. I told him to feel free to think about what could happen.

I got a full apology. No problems since.

For what it worth, anything that explodes or leaves the ground is illegal here for amatuers. Not that it matters...

Banning fireworks isn't the answer (and doesn't work anyways).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
Let me put it this way: If we banned everything that some moron could use to cause a fire or injury by using the device incorrectly, then we wouldn't have anything left. Not even Tylenol. Or cars. (I bet there were a lot more car crashes on new years than fires)

Sure. Be careful what you complain about. Everything has unintended consequences. Most people never ask "how much?" it will cost in terms of lost liberties and/or restrictions when the seek legislate out the fringe/marginal of our society.

You can't legislate out marginal and fringe behavior. You can only attempt to punish it.

I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back