Firestone Destination LE2 or Cooper Discoverer HT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try Cooper Discoverer HT3: http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Discoverer-HT3.aspx

They were cheaper than the H/T, less weight (material, shipping?). The H/T do have a rebate on Cooper's website though that the HT3 don't.

We have done Cooper Discoverer H/T two times now and only gotten 20k out of them on a GMC Sierra 2500HD 4wd, short trip, moderately aggressive starting and stopping. The HT3 is suppose to be better for this type of driving. Just had them installed this week.

Center rib wore out first each time. Took them down to 3/32" and 4/32" this time and only got 20k out of them.

Last edited:
That looks like a huge difference in tread depth for that bridgestone tire. I'd like to know how much tread was worn off. I don't see anything unusual on that bridgestone.

Okay the pictures make perfect sense now. The dynamics of the tires
are constantly changing as they wear. That is why people need to adjust their driving habits also as they wear. But most people don't understand that, and drive the same, too fast in the rain and snow not matter what the tread depth is.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
That looks like a huge difference in tread depth for that bridgestone tire. I'd like to know how much tread was worn off. I don't see anything unusual on that bridgestone.

You mean for the Firestone tire, picture posted earlier? The tire looks to have at least 7-8/32" of tread remaining (it starts at 12/32" as I recall). If you look at the picture of a new LE2 that I posted, you can see by looking at the shoulder sipes, where they meet the first large groove, that they're only 3-4/32" deep. That seems to be the case for many of the tread features on that tire.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Tread/sipe depth as the tire wears has to be but one of the factors taken into consideration when shopping for a tire. I like to point it out because it's a factor that many people overlook. How much this factor is taken into consideration by the buyer is his or her own decision.

Most drivers in So Cal didn't pay attentions to this tread/sipe depth, because we only have few days of light rain a year, we may have light snow once in a century.

My S2000 performance/handling on dry surface was better when the rear tire was down to less than legal limit.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Tread/sipe depth as the tire wears has to be but one of the factors taken into consideration when shopping for a tire. I like to point it out because it's a factor that many people overlook. How much this factor is taken into consideration by the buyer is his or her own decision.

Most drivers in So Cal didn't pay attentions to this tread/sipe depth, because we only have few days of light rain a year, we may have light snow once in a century.

Yes, excellent point. That's why I said earlier that each buyer will have to factor-in how important siping depth is. It primarily influences wet weather and winter weather traction. If most of your time is spent on dry roads, it may not be much of a consideration for you.

Thank you all for the advice and opinions. I am leaning towards the Firestone Destination LE 2. Price and reviews are good. Than you all!

Originally Posted by Hokiefyd
Originally Posted by badtlc

You mean for the Firestone tire, picture posted earlier? The tire looks to have at least 7-8/32" of tread remaining (it starts at 12/32" as I recall). If you look at the picture of a new LE2 that I posted, you can see by looking at the shoulder sipes, where they meet the first large groove, that they're only 3-4/32" deep. That seems to be the case for many of the tread features on that tire.

I have had the LE2's on my Jeep now for about a month. I cherish them. They are extraordinary in the day off overly calm going not far off! I got mine from a nearby Firestone Complete Auto Care Center. With the coupon I had, they were simply $565 M&B out the entryway w/Road Hazard( $60 ). 225/65R17 102H.

Originally Posted by johnsnowkornar
Originally Posted by Hokiefyd
Originally Posted by badtlc

I have had the LE2's on my Jeep now for about a month. I cherish them. They are extraordinary in the day off overly calm going not far off! I got mine from a nearby Firestone Complete Auto Care Center. With the coupon I had, they were simply $565 M&B out the entryway w/Road Hazard( $60 ). 225/65R17 102H.

You're 5 years too late bud.

Originally Posted by Traction
Originally Posted by mrsilv04
LE2 - just half worn... Would never be on my vehicle looking like this.

Look how deep the groove is at the arrow. The tire isn't worn out, but due to its poor design.... it is! There's nothing like designing and selling a tire that will need to be replaced much sooner than necessary.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

The tire looks okay to me. I don't understand what you mean when
you say the tire is half worn, and worn out?

It looks like a dang slick or street radial. Wow! That's trash.

Originally Posted by mannymachine
Thank you all for the advice and opinions. I am leaning towards the Firestone Destination LE 2. Price and reviews are good. Than you all!

Look at the Continental CrossContact Lx20 or better yet, LX25. I've owned all 3, and those 2 are way superior to the Firestone.

I've had the LE2 two times on 2 different company cars (Ford Explorer) because Firestone used to perform all of our fleet service. Both times I experienced conditions I would consider unsafe in the rain as the tire was on the last 3rd or so of its life, and I'm not talking worn out either. They were down to 4 or 5/32 and my fleet maintenance company did not want to replace them until I complained pretty loudly that they were susceptible to hydroplaning in the rain at conservative highway speeds. No complaints besides that, but something to consider.

I replaced the last set of Firestones with Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus and they were great, wore well, and no wet handling issues through their lifespan. I think the Continental recommendation you received above is a good one too. I've since started taking my company car to a Goodyear facility for all of its service, partially because of some spotty customer service issues with my local Firestone, but mainly because I want different tires when it is time for replacement.

Of the two I'd go with the Firestone Destination LE2. I have them on my Liberty for 2 years now and they've been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back