Firefox 3.1 beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed the 3.1 beta3 about 20 minutes ago and *holy* *flippin'* *heck* is it ever a good bit faster than any other browser I've got, save for Epiphany on Linux or perhaps Opera. (I have the new beta installed at present on a MacBook Pro, Mac OS X Leopard.)

I think the speed increase is due mostly to its new javascript rendering engine, and with javascript pretty much ubiquitous now (I know I use javascript *everywhere* on most new pages I make), that means something.

Here is the URL to get the most up-to-date beta: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

NOTE: As with all Firefox beta releases, if you have some add-ons installed there is a good chance that some will be broken for the time being (most notably for me is Google Gears). Most add-on developers make sure they're caught up by the time a release candidate (RC1) shows up, though, and Google is no exception.

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
Firefox rules over IE

I've heard a few folks - and some folks here on BITOG - saying that IE8 is as fast or faster than Firefox (presumably 3.0.x). I wouldn't know, as I haven't had to use a Windows system in a long time, thankfully.

I cannot imagine, though, a browser rendering and displaying pages faster than this (3.1 beta3). I have not even performed any speed modifications on the beta install yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back