Finally got my Range for the Camaro (no more AFM!)

I have a 2021 Camaro 2SS that currently has 3,800 miles. I never really liked the idea of AFM due to the additional engine complexity for miniscule benefit, among the additional component wear/tear… I always wanted to pick up the Range device, but up until just this week, it wasn’t officially approved for the Camaro beyond 2019 I believe, when the 10-speed transmissions became standard. It seems there was confusion from Range on DFM/AFM and what is used in the trucks and SUV’s vs. Camaro once the 10-speeds rolled in. Even though many have used the Range without issue on forums I frequent, I wasn’t gutsy enough to try it without the company supporting it officially. But I was happy to get a response from them directly last week that all Camaro up through 2023 right now are supported in full.

So naturally I ordered one along with a OBD on/off switch cable (due to parasitic drain of the range devices, supposedly…) and got it installed Saturday morning. Got it mounted right near the OBD port, so everything is hidden nicely and tucked away. I used 3M adhesive backed hook and loop to mount the device and switch next to each other.

I went for two longer drivers this weekend and it works like a charm… Never did the car go into 4-cylinder mode, as expected. What surprised me was that it actually improved the feel of the car quite a bit, which I did not expect to be so noticeable given the AFM wasn’t exactly that noticeable to begin with.

Now prior, I could feel when the car was going from V8 to 4-cylinder mode… You’d feel a very faint pulse, for lack of a better word, knowing it was activated. That was the only time I noticed AFM. I never noticed going the opposite way, from 4-cylinder to V8, at least feel wise. It was pretty seamless. So it wasn’t really that bothersome overall.

With the Range device, I do notice better response. Especially when the car would typically be in 4-cylinder mode (foot off the gas, coasting for example or very light throttle) and you then give it more demanding throttle input. Given the car is already in V-8 and ready to go all the time now, less hesitation noticed. It makes sense though, as it does take some non-zero amount of time (as short as it may be) for the engine to do it’s thing to get it back into V-8 mode. It’s just ready to go immediately and feels really nice and responsive.

So I’m a big fan of this little gadget!

I have a 2021 Camaro 2SS that currently has 3,800 miles. I never really liked the idea of AFM due to the additional engine complexity for miniscule benefit, among the additional component wear/tear… I always wanted to pick up the Range device, but up until just this week, it wasn’t officially approved for the Camaro beyond 2019 I believe, when the 10-speed transmissions became standard. It seems there was confusion from Range on DFM/AFM and what is used in the trucks and SUV’s vs. Camaro once the 10-speeds rolled in. Even though many have used the Range without issue on forums I frequent, I wasn’t gutsy enough to try it without the company supporting it officially. But I was happy to get a response from them directly last week that all Camaro up through 2023 right now are supported in full.

So naturally I ordered one along with a OBD on/off switch cable (due to parasitic drain of the range devices, supposedly…) and got it installed Saturday morning. Got it mounted right near the OBD port, so everything is hidden nicely and tucked away. I used 3M adhesive backed hook and loop to mount the device and switch next to each other.

I went for two longer drivers this weekend and it works like a charm… Never did the car go into 4-cylinder mode, as expected. What surprised me was that it actually improved the feel of the car quite a bit, which I did not expect to be so noticeable given the AFM wasn’t exactly that noticeable to begin with.

Now prior, I could feel when the car was going from V8 to 4-cylinder mode… You’d feel a very faint pulse, for lack of a better word, knowing it was activated. That was the only time I noticed AFM. I never noticed going the opposite way, from 4-cylinder to V8, at least feel wise. It was pretty seamless. So it wasn’t really that bothersome overall.

With the Range device, I do notice better response. Especially when the car would typically be in 4-cylinder mode (foot off the gas, coasting for example or very light throttle) and you then give it more demanding throttle input. Given the car is already in V-8 and ready to go all the time now, less hesitation noticed. It makes sense though, as it does take some non-zero amount of time (as short as it may be) for the engine to do it’s thing to get it back into V-8 mode. It’s just ready to go immediately and feels really nice and responsive.

So I’m a big fan of this little gadget!

You have the digital rear view “mirror” ?

The only question I would have about this how it is exactly doing this. If its doing something like faking the coolant temp to not let it activate, does that affect anything else in the system?

From Range direct with how it works:

"Factory GM vehicles equipped with Active Fuel Management and Dynamic Fuel Management can disable AFM/DFM in a normal operating condition. Range uses factory messages sent over the CAN Bus to "tell" the ECU to stay in V8 mode. We do not trick the ECU with false signal readings. We disable at the source and your vehicle runs as it normally would in 8-cylinder mode."

They did. It used to be all applications with the 10 speed, they clarified it to be just SUV/Truck only.

I have an older AFM car. 2014 6.0 Caprice. I had a Range in it. It worked well and I loved it. The Range by itself does not guarantee you will not have a mechanical failure. I eventually got rid of all the AFM stuff so it wouldn't happen down the road. Not sure how well the current AFM/DFM components hold up.

I am glad you like it. I really think my next car will be lightly used 6th Gen Camaro.

Not sure if the AFM issue has affected sales but it seems GM has not backed off on the technology. Here is some info on DFM. Although references are AFM/DFM, DFM came into play in 2019.

4EB78368-5055-41D2-A1E7-743190AE4CC5.png
0630D6DC-DAF0-4173-AF97-8D56D6F5A140.png

Last edited:
I know where there is a 2010 Camaro with the 400 HP V-8, or somewhat close to that, with only
1700 miles on it. And, it's for sale. It's of "showroom", quality and, as a matter of fact, is sitting
in a showroom at a Toyota Dealership.
Can't recall the price but, the car is pristine.

I know where there is a 2010 Camaro with the 400 HP V-8, or somewhat close to that, with only
1700 miles on it. And, it's for sale. It's of "showroom", quality and, as a matter of fact, is sitting
in a showroom at a Toyota Dealership.
Can't recall the price but, the car is pristine.
1700 ORIGINAL, miles, that is.

Back