Finally fixed the oil leak on my Accord.

My Accord was leaking oil at the oil filter housing. There's two rubber seals where the housing meets the block. It's held on with three 12mm bolts. One on top, and two on ten bottom. I used my 12mm Gearwrench to remove them. The top bolt had to be reached from the top of the engine bay to get enough leverage to break it loose.

The top bolt hits the axle once it's fully backed out, making it impossible to remove, BUT, here's the secret to getting it off. Completely remove the two bottom bolts first, then the top one, leaving the top one in the housing. As you're removing the oil filter housing, angle the bottom part out first hence allowing the top bolt to completely clear the axle, allowing the oil filter housing to be removed. Pop the old hardened seals out, thoroughly clean the gasket surfaces (I used wheel and tire cleaner, Royal Purple Max Film, and a toothbrush to completely clean the housing), then put the new seals in place.

Angle the housing back into place, hand-tightening that top bolt just enough to where the threads are started, tighten the two bottom bolts to spec, then tighten the top bolt to spec.

Finished!! (y)

I went ahead and changed the oil, especially since some oil drained out of the engine anyway during the process. I used Valvoline Extended Protection (after seeing the high moly via analyses here) 5W-20 and a Fram TG. That oil runs soooo smooth!!

Back