Finally a stabilizer for ethanol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
StarTron has had an Eth stabilizer for a while now. I've seen it in motorcycle and boat stores.
http://www.starbrite.com/whatsnew/STAR%20BRITE%20ethanol%20page%20(2)7-24-06.pdf

Biodegradable, doesnt seem to strike a cord with me, Biodegradable and petroleum doesnt seem to be the best combo. To me biodegradable means sissy oil. The only stabilizer that I will swear by is Sea Foam, I put that is dirt bike and the fuel looked and smelled great and the bike fired right up and ran fine, after a year. Nothing else seemed to give me the same satisfaction. $3.50 is a Great price, cant wait to hear if it works though.

I thought stabil marine was reformed to work with E10. The problem is during the winter we often get accidental E20 or worse. The last time I bought gas for my generator was in the winter and the gas poured perfectly clear and smelled only of alky and water. Id love to test this gas for proper alcohol blend %. This is the junk splash blended by uncaring morons that I suspect ruins my oil sump and my engines in my cars. I suppose I'll have to "put up" and buy one of those alcohol % test kits from that site I've been pimping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Biodegradable, doesnt seem to strike a cord with me, Biodegradable and petroleum doesnt seem to be the best combo. ... .
What? You want MACHO oil that last and lasts until the dirty deed is done? Dont we all
blush.gif
Oil is a simple long chain (or branched) paraffin of hydrogen and carbon - it is biodegradeable. The GET stuff may degrade QUICKER (like under 3 months). The other minor 1/4 % (well under 1/2 oz/Quart) that are the metal salts in modern oils may or not be trouble makers to some small extent.

Last edited:
someone tell me how I survived the 60s in our cars with ancient oil like Havoline, shell, QS, texaco , these oils worked on large v-8s, u think todays 4 bangers would live on them.?

They didnt survive, they lasted maybe 90K to 120K MAX. I know, I rebuilt many of them up north as a professional engine rebuilder. Remember only about 1/4 ounce is additives in the "modern oil" everything else is just "oil".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: n8wvi
Pri-G specifically calls out ethanol too.

Dave

What is that?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
They didnt survive, they lasted maybe 90K to 120K MAX. I know, I rebuilt many of them up north as a professional engine rebuilder. Remember only about 1/4 ounce is additives in the "modern oil" everything else is just "oil".

Ouch. This is so true.

100k miles used to be a HUGE milestone, now it is as common as dirt.

Part of the life improvement in engines was when fuel injection changed the norm from slightly rich to stoichiometric. At stoich fuel dilution is almost non existent when the engine is factory fresh so the oil stays good even with inadequate maintenance. Carbon production is reduced cutting all the abrasion and other problems it causes. Good treatment early in the life of the engine ensures there will be a lot more life to come. Fortunately those first owners continue to sell them off when they hit 100K because that myth won't die just like the 3,000 mile OCI myth won't die.

Fuel injection allowed car manufacturers to play with lean burn which wasn't a good idea because its high rate of carbon production destroys the engines rather quickly. Fortunately that was mandated away in 1996.

Pri-G is a gasoline preservative called "Pri-G". Many boat/motor-home places carry it, though I ordered my last quart (treats 512 gallons!) via the internet.

Dave

Originally Posted By: severach
Part of the life improvement in engines was when fuel injection changed the norm from slightly rich to stoichiometric. At stoich fuel dilution is almost non existent when the engine is factory fresh so the oil stays good even with inadequate maintenance. Carbon production is reduced cutting all the abrasion and other problems it causes. Good treatment early in the life of the engine ensures there will be a lot more life to come. Fortunately those first owners continue to sell them off when they hit 100K because that myth won't die just like the 3,000 mile OCI myth won't die.

Fuel injection allowed car manufacturers to play with lean burn which wasn't a good idea because its high rate of carbon production destroys the engines rather quickly. Fortunately that was mandated away in 1996.

While I would agree that EFI is a huge improvement, I see very few vehicles run Stoich unless you are at very small throttle openings/cruising gently.

A modern fuel injected V8 is running 11-12 to one when your foot is in it.

And I've been in 3 late model V8 engines in the last 3 months and two of them had quite significant carbon build up despite very reasonable care and maintenance.

I also agree their lightly used car is a great deal for us!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back