Filtration vs insolubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious as to what the limits for insoluble should be before I start considering changing filters.
I'm trying to stretch my oci as far as possible on commercial vehicles. Prior to installing Schaeffer's 9000 I was seeing .4% at my schedule 20,000 my oil change. I am seeing an improvement running better filters and a bypass system. So far my system only has about 23,000 miles on it I'm running regular uoa and was considering changing the full flow filters at 30000 miles.
I have tried to search this topic and have not found the information I was looking for, the last time I change the oil based on a sample was because of elevated lead numbers about 15 PPM. With the new oil in system it is down around 3 ppm on lead.
Any advice appreciated

My full flow filter is a synthetic long life Donaldson blue dbl 3998 and my bypass filter is a eabp 120 Amsoil

Originally Posted By: NStuart
I am curious as to what the limits for insoluble should be before I start considering changing filters.

Blackstone labs says never more than .6

If I remember correctly... I'd never let it get above .5

The engine manufactures have set limits. What engines are in question? The Detroit? There are several pros on this board that will get you the proper numbers.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The engine manufactures have set limits. What engines are in question? The Detroit? There are several pros on this board that will get you the proper numbers.

Non egr Detroit 14l and a factory reman detroit 12.7

Anyone care else have any input, I have 3 trucks running this setup and more to come.

Detroit sets the soot limit at 4.5% but Blackstone's insolubles aren't exactly the same. Blackstone says anything over .6% means that the filters are used up. I'm not sure how much difference you would see when comparing a soot level reported by another lab vs Blackstone's insolubles reading.

I'm sure that changing the full flow filter at 30k miles is a safe place to start. With the bypass, you may be able to go much more before you change the full flow. You will have to learn as you go and see what the sample reports tell you. The amount of fuel that the engine is using has an effect on the soot produced and only you know how much your engines are burning. It's another factor to use when looking at the analysis results.

Edit- when I was running a FS-2500 bypass on my Cats, I changed my full flows at 30k and my bypass at 15k (at the time it was the bypass manufacturer's recommendation). I was being very conservative to say the least, my soot levels were like .1 or .2% on each report.

Last edited:
Donaldson says they're blue line filters are good for 40000 miles, I'm sending samples off every 10 right now, after 30,000 I will probably start sending them off every 5k or whenever I start to see a change, this is my first round on this system I'm still trying to develop a good Baseline

Originally Posted By: NStuart
The search feature sucks

It does, but you can pull up Doug's profile and just scroll down through the post headings. It's not terribly quick, but it's what I'd do. At least you'll be able to quickly see if it's a thread he started and which section it's in, which narrows stuff down.

I ran rotella t6 on lf and dd filters just regular ff filters for 40k and my numbers were ok

I was just looking at Doug Hillarys uao I would freak out if I saw some of those numbers, by the end of the year I will have some interesting numbers to show! 26k and counting next

There, you found some. And his engines survived.
smile.gif

I just talked to Blackstone and they said 0.6 for insolubles is where they become concerned, at .5 I will spin on 2 new ff and 2 gallons of oul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back