Filters Available At WM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
For my fusion and f150 I usually pick up a Motorcraft for less than 4 bucks at WM. Just wondering if a ST or Fram has better filtering ability (microns,NOT extended OCI's.) than a FL910S & FL500.

I think that most economy filters are all pretty comparable for efficiency and value, especially when you consider that a filter's efficiency changes over the useful life of the filter. So it's hard to argue that one is truly better than the other. Since the prices are all about the same, go with whichever one you like better. I just don't like the cardboard end caps on the Fram Extra Guard filters... this is subjective and a personal preference only. The FL910S has a solid reputation on this forum, many cut open with great results. (The FL400S is the same only longer can/more media, but might not fit in the space provided.) Besides, doesn't Ford specify the FL910S filter for many of the 7500-mile interval vehicles? Anyway I'd get the Motocraft over the Fram. I cannot comment on the Supertech but many on here are very happy with them. So I would rank them Motorcraft, Supertech, then Fram (if I had to).

On premium filters: Fram ultra is twice the price and can go twice as long as the Motorcraft. So financially speaking they are a wash. But when you consider that the Fram ultra has better filtration efficiency and you can change it half as often (less mess/hassle)... I would run the Ultra for 2 intervals and spend the same money.

Originally Posted by DGXR
For my fusion and f150 I usually pick up a Motorcraft for less than 4 bucks at WM. Just wondering if a ST or Fram has better filtering ability (microns,NOT extended OCI's.) than a FL910S & FL500.

I think that most economy filters are all pretty comparable for efficiency and value, especially when you consider that a filter's efficiency changes over the useful life of the filter.

I've never seen any data that shows oil filters get more efficient with use over time. Only data that says they can become less efficient as they load up with debris.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by DGXR

I think that most economy filters are all pretty comparable for efficiency and value, especially when you consider that a filter's efficiency changes over the useful life of the filter.

I've never seen any data that shows oil filters get more efficient with use over time. Only data that says they can become less efficient as they load up with debris.

I think this is one of those myths that has been reapeated so many times over now that many believe it by default. It has reached near legend status on BITOG.

Filters are in bypass for a large portion of the driving time, perhaps 30% or more. At which point there is NO filtering going on. This talk about micron ratings and efficiency is a little lame, in my honest opinion.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Filters are in bypass for a large portion of the driving time, perhaps 30% or more.

No way that's true. Jim Allen testing showed the bypass valve rarely opened, only time was with colder weather start-ups and high RPM before the oil warmed up. With oil at opetating temperature the bypass valve never opened.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Filters are in bypass for a large portion of the driving time, perhaps 30% or more. At which point there is NO filtering going on. This talk about micron ratings and efficiency is a little lame, in my honest opinion.

Provide some evidence to back up this statement please. Here's some reading for you:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...erential-pressure-data-pure-1-motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back