filter design question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a good question. The spring visible on the Ford filter is the bypass valve which Ford specified to be at the top so that when it opens the bypassed oil does not wash over the dirty side of the filter and the base where heavier sludge accumulates. I would say the others do not meet Ford OEM spec.

In the outlet passage of a ford 820s filter there is a coiled spring which I assume is some type of valve. The bosch equalivent does not have the spring, neither does a fram filter equal (which I would never use anyway).
It is used in a 2002 v6 ford 4.0liter. Now how can those other filters claim to be allowable replacement if the don't have the same design as the ford filter?

I believe what it does is that if the bypass opens up this spring valve on outlet partially closes off. (It can't close all of the way because of the design of the disc) I believe it slows the flow down such that the bypass valve can go closed again and at the same time limits too much flow to the lub system.. Its sort of a poor man's flow control valve. This device also doesn't appear in the K&N. BTW I use this filter in my Toyota 2.4L (22R-E engine) Its not recommended though-just much bigger than Toyota Stock Filter.

Al,

I don't buy your description of the bypass valve operation.

I've cut open one of the Napa filters with this top-end bypass. It was a straight forward bypass valve, just at the top instead of the usual bottom location.

I think that Ford had this spec for a few years. No other engine maker called for this type of a bypass valve, and I'm not sure if Ford calls for this arrangement in the filters on their current engines.

Ken

Well-I took it apart a while ago and could not see any other way it could function. The spring holds it(disc) away from the outlet (so its open). In addition there was (I am almost positive) a conventional bypass at the bottom of the filter. This was a purolator. I just pulled out a new one which I will cut up tomorrow. I don't plan on using any Purolators anyway
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back