Filter cutters

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, in the name of science, I have a FRAM Ultra XG2 here with a dent in it that I'm not going to use so I've decided to cut and post. I've previously used a sawsall to cut them open and it's a huge PITA, so I bit the bullet and bought the Proform oil filter cutter tool:

I paid $111 Canadian for it through Amazon, should have it tomorrow.

1629402075407.jpg

What is everybody else using to cut their filters?

Fleetguard does sell a filter cutter: 3310587S

Looks like it's kind of pricey though...probably better off with one of the options mentioned above, unless you've got a connection through a truck dealer that sells Fleetguard.

This is my filter cutter from my old aircraft mechanic days - available from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty company:
1629408000813.png

This is my filter cutter from my old aircraft mechanic days - available from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty company:
View attachment 67638
So, in the name of science, I have a FRAM Ultra XG2 here with a dent in it that I'm not going to use so I've decided to cut and post. I've previously used a sawsall to cut them open and it's a huge PITA, so I bit the bullet and bought the Proform oil filter cutter tool:

I paid $111 Canadian for it through Amazon, should have it tomorrow.

View attachment 67627

What is everybody else using to cut their filters?
I have the same cutter but paid $60 USC. I liked you can replace the cutter wheels with plumber pipe cutter wheels.

I've never really needed to cut one open. What is the purpose, out of curiosity? I guess if I had to I'd probably just use a little cutting wheel on a dremel tool.

Interesting. It shows available on my end. Weird. I wonder if they won’t ship to 🇨🇦…?

just my $0.02
Yep, if I put in deliver to Canada it shows that it's Unavailable. But it shows available if shipped to me in the US. I'd get the Longacre before this one. This one has issues cutting small diameter filters.

Back