filter comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an 02' F150, any opinions on which oil filter has the better ADBV? My 5.4L V8 has slight piston slap.

MC FL 820s

or

Amsoil EAO 11

thanks
dunno.gif

quote:

Have an 02' F150, any opinions on which oil filter has the better ADBV? My 5.4L V8 has slight piston slap.

MC FL 820s

or

Amsoil EAO 11

Ford spec FL820S for my 2001 Taurus as well, but I prefer Amsoil EA011 which I'm now using.

If you want to use Amsoil strictly for the ADBV, you will be disappointed because Amsoil are based on OEM spec; ADBV are made of same material on each.

Superiority of Amsoil EA are down to special synthetic nanotech filter media and efficiency. Currently, I'm almost 4K into a 7K OCI with Amsoil. My oil seem noticeably cleaner at this point than with previous Motorcraft or Wix filters.

quote:

Originally posted by Pete C.:
An ADBV isn't going to fix your piston slap. It might fix some tappet/valve chatter.

Pete, I think this may be the case, I've used M1 and K+N oil filters and had plenty of noise at startup - not nearly as much with the MC filter.....just wondering if the Amsoil EAO is better thats all, btw, I am running Amsoil S2K 0W-30 now, for the summer.
thanks

If your noise is brief and immediately at startup ..then it's the ADBV on whatever filter you're using. If it's a lingering situation, then I'd say you've got some other issue. Not that it can't vary with the filter ..but it's not because of the filter that the condition is present. A denser filter just exposes it.

Does this condition hang around until the oil is warm?

Been that way since brand new. Noise lasts about 5 - 10 seconds, some mornings not at all??, but ALWAYS less with the MC filters. If its ps, its very minor.....or maybe what Pete is suggesting just valve clatter. Truck runs good, decent mileage for a V8 4X4. Just wanna run the best ADBV available. thanks

It surely sounds like a bad ADBV ..or rather one that doesn't hold for your shut down duration. This isn't a matter of consequence, imo. It's more annoying then anything. Any filter with a silicon ADBV should do well for you. MC (the "s" in your part number), PureOne ..Wix
dunno.gif
MC is a good choice.

Most likely you have some piston slap. That can be a normal noise on some Ford truck engines. The 5.4 V8 is one of them, both the 2 valve and the 3 valve. The Ford field engineers I have talked to say the noise does no damage. It is at most an annoyance. It is not a durability issue. The noise diminishes (but doesn't go away) as the pistons heat up. GM has some engines with a lot of piston slap noise too.

From what I have read here, the noise is more pronounced with some oils than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back