Filter changed after four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings and good morning fellow Bitogers on this frosty Florida morning.

The story. December 2009 found me under the soon to be famous "Luv" machine, (1986 Chevy Astro Van. 4.3 Vortec V-6). It had spun two rod bearings and I was in the process of replacing said bearings, "gluing" them in place with a creative mixture of "JB Weld." When I finished, I allowed bearings to "cure" for a week and then reinstalled the oil pan and filled the motor with used motor oil.

I fired the motor up and let it run for about half an hour to circulate the oil and "wash" any loose dirt, metal, debris, into the oil filter. I then shut the motor down, drained the oil, refilled with more used oil and threw in a couple of bottles of STP. In addition, I changed the oil filter with a Puralator Classic. That was December 14th, 2009, (I know this because I wrote the date on the side of the filter).

Since that faithful day, the "Luv" machine has been drive on a weekly basis hauling brush, branches and tools. I have also used it to pull logs and stumps out of the ground, (I ripped the original bumper off the van doing this, so made a new bumper from scrap metal which lasted about a year. That lasted till last summer when it ripped off pulling a stump. I created a super dooper bumper from more scrap steel and welded that to the frame of the van. So far so good. I share this information to show the "Luv" machine has been used as a work horse with large man berries.

As it's been over four years since I last changed the oil filter, I got to wondering what the inside of said filter looks like and if in fact, it was even still functioning. So like the bear who climbed the mountain, Monday of this past week, I removed filter and cut it open "to see what I could see."

First things first - removing the filter.

It was stuck on pretty good. But some colorful words scared it enough to come loose. I think it must have cussed back because as it came loose and the oil started to drain the way oil filters do, (oil running down the sides), it made an odd gurgling sound, (almost like an old homeless man with no teeth drinking a beer on a hot summer day). It actually scared me and I pulled my hand away thinking something had been living in the filter and was going to jump out and bite me. It made this noise for several minutes till I finally worked up the courage to finish removing the filter and inspect.

Oddly enough, once said filter was removed, oil continued to drain from filter housing in a glumpy, gurgling way. Oil consistency was that of pancake syrup.

I inverted filter to allow oil to drain for about two hours. Then I put said filter into my vice and proceed to cut it open with a metal cutting saw.

Viola! The is open and I carefully pull it apart. To my surprise, it's in good shape. There are no chucks of debris or visible signs of dirt, (or JB Weld). The oil at the bottom of the can is heavy, but contains no "solids."

With a razor knife, I cut the paper filter away from the filter frame and spread it out on a large piece of cardboard. The filter element is completely intact with no rips or tears. There is no sludge build up nor was there any debris build up within the filter.

I fully expected the paper element inside the filter to be full of holes and tears and was amazed at it's condition, especially given the abuse it has endured during the past four years. Keep in mind as well, I have never added new oil to the "Luv" machine but always topped off with used oil when needed.

Through cross referencing, I discovered that the filter from my 1995 Oldsmobile will fit the "Luv" machine, so I put a new filter on my Olds (Thunder the Wonder Pig), and put the old filter off the Olds onto the "Luv" machine. When the time comes, I'll remove that one to investigate the innards. That should be around 2018.

I do have pictures, but can't figure out how to post yet.

Originally Posted By: LotI
I can already hear Blueovalfitter screaming!

He didn't mention how many OCIs this was. If he never changed the oil, then it would be one OCI ...

Originally Posted By: Miller88

He didn't mention how many OCIs this was. If he never changed the oil, then it would be one OCI ...

I've never actually "changed" the oil in the "Luv" machine but simply kept adding when needed, (although I add used oil). My thinking is that like the flowing river, it's constantly changing.

When I think about it like that, I can't help but believe when it comes to the "Luv" machine, you can never check the same oil twice.

I should add as well that about a year ago, I did drain the oil and measure it to make sure my wire coat hanger dip stick was measuring the proper amount, (my dip stick is a coat hanger that I marked with a file at four and five quarts). I poured four quarts of this drained oil back in the motor, checked dip stick, added the remaining quart, checked the dip stick - spot on perfect.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
frosty Florida
Those two words do not belong together.

It was 5°F when I got up this morning, and I know our esteemed friends from the Canada will be laughing and pointing at me.

"That's not cold, eh..."

lol.gif
... Obviously, the "Luv Machine" doesn't get much love. At least change the oil filter every year if nothing else while feeding it a diet of used oil. Might cost ya a whopping $4 at Walmart for a new Purolator Classic.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
why not use new oil? and since you replaced the bearings what about cutting the crankshaft?

I did "sand" the crankshaft with emery cloth before I installed the bearings. That took all day.

New oil? The old stuff is still slippery and it looks like it just came out of the ground.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
frosty Florida

It was 5°F when I got up this morning, and I know our esteemed friends from the Canada will be laughing and pointing at me.

"That's not cold, eh..."

T-shirt weather! Been about -15F here the last few mornings.

I always said the 4.3 was tough but WOW! I almost miss my Astros. Curious if the filter was spared any undue torture from the maple syrup (mmmmmm) by the bypass?

How many years ago do you think it may have went into by-pass mode with no oil passing through it. Bought F700 with the 429 Lima engine that contained oil like that and it took days to drain out of the filter but it was cool weather.

True that! ONE FILTER, ONE OCI! Never placed a limitation on how long that oci could be. Four years works. And only used oil for top up for the Luv machine.
lol.gif

Good to hear that you are pleased with results of the Classic on that unorthodox Bitog oci. Perhap you'll figure out how to post up pics at some point. Once you get them on your computer, Tinypic or a free Photobucket account makes it relatively easy.

Not your average Bitog oil and filter change. No surprise that eljefino, aka Macgyver, approves.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

True that! ONE FILTER, ONE OCI! Never placed a limitation on how long that oci could be. Four years works. And only used oil for top up for the Luv machine.
lol.gif

lol.gif
... Actually, it was a "One Filter, One OCI" situation ... because he never really changed the oil, just keep adding used oil. So BOF should be pleased that his mantra was followed.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: cp3
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
frosty Florida

"That's not cold, eh..."

T-shirt weather! Been about -15F here the last few mornings.

I always said the 4.3 was tough but WOW! I almost miss my Astros. Curious if the filter was spared any undue torture from the maple syrup (mmmmmm) by the bypass?

It was -37f in Watertown NY Wednesday morning. +5 seems almost tropical!
My 99 Saturn started right up!

Whelp, you posted pics of the filter in the pink chair...soooo...lets see the LM and the Olds.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Whelp, you posted pics of the filter in the pink chair...soooo...lets see the LM and the Olds.
21.gif

Think the photos he was talking about in this thread were posted in a new thread.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...pic#Post3257935

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back