Filter change to extend oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Why not just change the oil filter every OCI?
35.gif
36.gif

It's to complicated for the extended oil change crowd.
cheers3.gif

I think it's laziness and/or a new oil filter costs too much.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Malo83
35.gif
36.gif

It's to complicated for the extended oil change crowd.
cheers3.gif

I think it's laziness and/or a new oil filter costs too much.
coffee2.gif

11.gif

On a clean engine, that would make about as much sense as changing the fuel filter with every fill-up.

Originally Posted by Lubener
What some will do to save a buck. All you are doing is loading up that new filter immediately.

I'm picturing $20,000 to $60,000 vehicles for some of the auto enthusiasts. Could be we are just being PUNK'D for entertainment purposes?
Sensible oci w/ a new filter each time too difficult or expensive ... Nah.
Skip a few car washes a year.

Originally Posted by CR94
On a clean engine, that would make about as much sense as changing the fuel filter with every fill-up.

Your thinking makes about as much sense as a submarine with a screen door.
smirk2.gif

smirk2.gif

lol.gif

Resorting to irrelevant insults is no substitute for logical argument, which you seem incapable of offering.

Resorting to irrelevant insults is no substitute for logical argument, which you seem incapable of offering.

You could cite the source of this information in the statement above (BOLD highlight) for starters- RE; Fuel filter life versus oil filter life.
I'm pretty certain any service manual or maint schedule I've seen for vehicles doesn't share your wisdom.

Last edited:
^^^ I think the point being made is if a filter is rated at 20K miles, and It's changed out at 5K to 10K miles on a clean engine, then the filter was under utilized compared to it's rated life.

Just like a fuel filter, if it's changed by it's rated life, then the filter may not require being changed every oil change. Honda has recommended this senario (filter change every other OCI) for years.

In regards to mid-tier quality, I've been shouting every other OCI for oil filter changes for almost ten years here. Most filters removed today aren't even near half-full. Plus most throw the used ones in the garbage and our landfills don't need more of these.

35.gif
36.gif

Because it's easier to use a transfer pump down the dipstick hole and suck most of the fluid out of the oil pan than it is to jack the car up and drain all the oil and remove the filter.

Hey, you started it with the fuel filter comment. So, is it my turn now, since you just made another? Your logic on this post will get it locked. It's newer members like you that bring NOTHING but trouble to this forum!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
^^^ I think the point being made is if a filter is rated at 20K miles, and It's changed out at 5K to 10K miles on a clean engine, then the filter was under utilized compared to it's rated life.

Just like a fuel filter, if it's changed by it's rated life, then the filter may not require being changed every oil change. Honda has recommended this senario (filter change every other OCI) for years.

Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense in that context.

thumbsup2.gif

IMO if I have to crawl under the car to drain the oil I may as well change the filter while I'm at it. I do agree that a dipstick pump would make live easier. If I were doing it that way I would just get a premium high capacity filter and change just the oil every other filter change but not go over the rated mileage for the filter. I think it all depends on how well the engine has been maintained and if there were any sludge buildup, hard driving conditions, etc.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
IMO if I have to crawl under the car to drain the oil I may as well change the filter while I'm at it. I do agree that a dipstick pump would make live easier. If I were doing it that way I would just get a premium high capacity filter and change just the oil every other filter change but not go over the rated mileage for the filter. I think it all depends on how well the engine has been maintained and if there were any sludge buildup, hard driving conditions, etc.

100% Yep on all that.

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back