Filming the Extreme Bright Welding Arc

In this video they seem to be using some kind of Canon video camera. I don't know much about video cameras, but I'm fascinated by footage of the welding process. As you know, a welding arc is extremely bright; you can't look at it with your naked eyes.

How are they able to film that? What kind of lens?

Very tiny iris opening on the camera and probably a filter as well.

But I'm no camera expert.

Also, not surer why, but I do like a good welding video as well. Not that I actually do any of it. But there's something about watching Kurtis from Cutting Edge Engineering lay down a ton of weld fixing some of the big parts he works on.

Is that iris opening part of the camera, or the attached lens? I'm assuming the lens is removable like on a camera, but I don't know.

I gotta question for you ctechbob. At about 9 minutes in, is she shining that phone camera through the welding helmet?

TV's/displays can only get so bright and camera sensors don't match what the human eye sees.

However, have any of you guys watched welding on a TV that has high rated HDR peak brightness? That won't come from an OLED or just any TV sold as an HDR set. It'll look very bright but still won't hurt you.

Growing up, my father was a welder for the City Sewer Authority.
He always had oxygen/acetylene tanks and an arc welder at home .... came in handy for many auto repairs.

I learned how to braze.
My older brother learned arc welding.
Other two brothers never learned.

Ahh, the smell of burning metal.

Back