Fifth wheel trailer - new rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summer, we bought a new to us 2010 fifth wheel. It still had the OEM Chinese tires on it, that were already 6 years old based on the DOT code. The trailer only did one trip with us last year - straight to its winter storage spot.

Fast forward to today. This weekend, I plan on heading out to where we have the trailer to get it ready for the camping season (farm owned by family about an hour out of town). I already bought 5 new tires a few weeks ago when there was a big sale, LT Coopers rebranded to a store brand.

I have found a place that can do lugcentric balancing, back in town of course.

Considering the distance and time for taking the tires and wheels in, I really only want to do this in two trips.

My plans are to do the following, so any input on if I should do anything differently is appreciated:

We will bring our truck, as well as our van out there, and spend the weekend getting all aspects of the trailer ready for camping. My side of the house of course is being in charge of everything mechanical, and my wife in charge of all to do with making the trailer inhabitable for the season.

I don't feel comfortable taking the trailer down the highway a long ways with the old China bombs - add to that it will be the first time I would tow with this rig combination (family helped us transport it last year using their truck). I would rather my first tow be with my in father in law next to me, who has towed a similar set up for years, which is actually planned to be the following weekend anyway.

1. Hitch the truck to the trailer, move it onto the hard compacted gravel driveway. Set parking brakes on the truck, leave the trailer hitched.
2. Chock one side of the trailer's tires. Jack the opposite side up, remove the two tires, and place jack stands under each axle. (I have 4 stands).
3. Jack up the side with the remaining tires. Remove those two tires, and place jack stands under each axle.
4. Set down all 4 stabilizers in each corner. This means the trailer is now held up with 4 stabilizers, 4 jack stands, plus the king pin attached to the truck.
5. Grab the spare off the rear.
6. Using the van, I take all 5 wheels/old tires, plus the 5 new tires, drive to town, get them changed over.
7. Do the opposite when I get back with the newly mounted tires.

I just hauled home a 5th wheel today. 36 foot, 13k NWT. Pretty much non event for the hundred miles. I think your making a lot of work. Your method though is IMO proper.
I would make sure the tires where close to proper inflation and the brakes are functioning as they should and take it easy to town unless the town is stop light central.

Unless it isn't 300+ miles to town, just air up the tires to max pressure and drive it to town not too fast and let the tire shop do all the work.

You're in Canada and can push most tires if they're in good shape close to 10 years. Being 7 years old and trailer tires, you're probably at the last moment of the tires' usable life. They should be good enough for a last trip to town.

Here's what I did to remove the Chinese tires off my travel trailer: I bought the highest capacity ramps I could find, took the spare off the back, and then swapped out a left side tire. Brought those two tires to the Ford dealer (that price matched TireRack for Goodyear Marathons!) and then brought those two home and repeated on the other side. Also I was shocked to find a bubble on the inside of one of the China tires. These were driven (I'm assuming) from the factory, to the dealer, and then to my house. Scary how these RV manufacturers use these junky tires. I considered doing the jackstands thing, but it was much easier to throw the truck in 4LOW and ease the trailer onto ramps. This brought the tire about 2" off the ground.

There is no guarantee those tires were not abused. Most likely exceeding the maximum speed those tires can handle. Bubbles on the side of tires can be caused by curb hopping-a very common occurrence with trailers.

One more reason I want to pull the wheels off is that I can get in and out of the tire shop much quicker than being added to the back of the queue of vehicles they are working on that day, plus I have the flexibility of easily going somewhere I don't have to wait long without a trailer following me around. I will need every moment over the weekend to cover everything I want to get ready before the trailer hits the road.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
Here's what I did to remove the Chinese tires off my travel trailer: I bought the highest capacity ramps I could find, took the spare off the back, and then swapped out a left side tire. Brought those two tires to the Ford dealer (that price matched TireRack for Goodyear Marathons!)

I sincerely hope you're an exception. But while researching tires for my 5th wheel, I read through lots of complaints on RV Forums, about Goodyear tires that weren't old and were properly inflated, but are still blowing out on RV's.

Thank You. Part of the reason I wanted to take the Chinese tires off and swap to GoodYears is there are GoodYear dealers all over the country. Pretty much all trailer tires live horrible lives, but having a major brand all over the country makes me sleep a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back