fiberglass ladders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used aluminum ladders since its light and reasonably price (not that I'm trying to skimp). The ladder is mainly used for painting and general maintenance. I do some electrical work around the house but I do not work with live power. So I was thinking of getting a fiberglass one as its suitable for all purpose use and for extra safety. I'm not going to be lugging it around that much so I don't mind that its heavier. My ceilings are not very high so a 5 or 6 foot ladder would be adequate. Are fiberglass ladders as durable as the aluminum ladders? Any input, Thanks.

I have both a 6' for most work and a 10' for changing bulbs in our 14' ceilings and in my shop building. Both have held up well, and I used the 10' extensively when I was building the shop-both climbing on it and as part of scaffolding.

The 10' can be carried by one person into the house, but anything larger would need two people to be comfortable, especially around corners and near furniture.

I have a 32' fiberglass extension Type 1A. It is very sturdy when up to the top peak of my home. Getting it up there -- now that's another story. Woo-wee is that thing heavy and hard to maneuver! I'm tired by the time I have it in place. It weighs over 70# -- which gets quite heavy as you raise it. Being short and having short arms doesn't help.

I think you will find that in fiberglass: green=225 lb., blue=250 lb., and red = 300 lb.
I have green bc I only weigh 140 and its more than sturdy

In a 6 foot type II (200 lbs.) is sturdy enough (unless you're a moose like me), I actually have a 32 foot type I AA that is rated for 300 lbs.-and weighs about 125 pounds! The shorter the fiberglass ladder, the more inherently stable they seem to be (IMHO)-and when you get into the long extension ladders the weaker ones flex, bend, and curve in my experience.

Werner are the best, its all I use. I always get the 300 pound rated ones, not much heavier and I like the extra beef.

I buy the heaviest rated ones because I rarely lug it myself and figure it gives some extra security.

I bought a Werner, but it was when they were transitioning from beign US made to Mexican. It took me a lot of looking to find the US made one. Anymore I wouldnt buy one from them, Id try to find something US made. The price didnt drop when they put Mexicans on the job...

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I have a 32' fiberglass extension Type 1A. It is very sturdy when up to the top peak of my home. Getting it up there -- now that's another story. Woo-wee is that thing heavy and hard to maneuver! I'm tired by the time I have it in place. It weighs over 70# -- which gets quite heavy as you raise it. Being short and having short arms doesn't help.

I have a aluminum extension ladder and its kind of scary as it get a bit wobbly. I rarely use it unless I need to get to the roof, paint or clean the windows. It must be quite a workout just to lug that 70 pound ladder out, at least you know its stable.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
May I suggest a 6' wooden ladder type 1 (250lbs),after working with both I prefer the wood.

I actually did have a wooden step ladder. I got rid of since it was very old and didn't want to trust it. Its hard to find wooden ladders now, haven't seen them at any store.

Originally Posted By: Al
I think you will find that in fiberglass: green=225 lb., blue=250 lb., and red = 300 lb.
I have green bc I only weigh 140 and its more than sturdy

Very interesting, I didn't know the color code corresponds to the weight capacity. I know there are double sided step ladders which support the corresponding weight for each side.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
In a 6 foot type II (200 lbs.) is sturdy enough (unless you're a moose like me), I actually have a 32 foot type I AA that is rated for 300 lbs.-and weighs about 125 pounds! The shorter the fiberglass ladder, the more inherently stable they seem to be (IMHO)-and when you get into the long extension ladders the weaker ones flex, bend, and curve in my experience.

The aluminum extension ladder I have gets a bit wobbly if I extend it more than half the max height. Wow 125 pounds, I didn't think it weighed that much. Can't imagine having to lug it around everyday for work.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I buy the heaviest rated ones because I rarely lug it myself and figure it gives some extra security.

I bought a Werner, but it was when they were transitioning from beign US made to Mexican. It took me a lot of looking to find the US made one. Anymore I wouldnt buy one from them, Id try to find something US made. The price didnt drop when they put Mexicans on the job...

The aluminum step ladder I currently have is a Werner and its made in USA. I notice the current Werner ladders are made in Mexico. I would prefer to buy a US made one but they are hard to find now. I heard the Little Giant are made in USA but I don't really like those.

I have a 24' fiberglass extension ladder that I use several times a year to clean gutters and work on other things that always seem to occur high up on the house. It's a handful, for sure. I also have a 10' wooden step ladder and a 5' wooden step ladder. For painting ceilings I have a 5' wide platform with folding legs. Each has it's own area/height of responsibility and comfort.

Fiberglass is sturdy and I like it. But it's heavy. I'm still not to old to military press the big one up to it's hangers in the shed, but the time will come when I have to break it down and hang each part separately.

If I had my druthers, I'd pay for an extremely sturdy and well-built aluminum ladder if I didn't have a power line to work around on the south side of the house.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Green Bull is the best, made in USA, Werner is decent, but not as strong.

I've bought a few Green Bull ladders - 24' extension (model 610224 - mine), 8' step (for dad), & 10' step (for father-in-law). However, Green Bull is getting harder to procure.
I also have a 10' aluminum step from Werner when they were still made in the US.
I pretty much only buy fiberglass as I never have to worry about it.
I can't speak to longevity as I've only had the extension ladder 4 years but I've liked it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back