Fiat 124 Spider oil weight

To ask about the use of Mobil 1 0W40 as a substitute for the FCA certified stuff, and the board's view on doing an oil change at 1,000 miles after the car having sat for two years. You know, time or mileage?? I thought it was clear; I guess not.

You said nothing about FCA Cert stuff in your OP post. All you said was "factory fill". If it's under warranty than use the factory fill, if not then who cares?..

The OP says the vehicle has 1000 miles, no mention of time frame, and asked if you can use the Mobil. A few people replied saying you should probably use approved oil (which is good advice) but then a few posts later you just decide to use the Mobil anyway.

Hence my question

Not saying 5w is better than 0w, only that OP has a new vehicle under warranty and FIAT is strict on specs. Mobil 1 0W-40 doesn’t meet the required spec.
My question is what 5W over 0W have when it comes to turbo temperature? Your post reads like he should use 5W bcs. turbo and temperature.

ArcoGraphite: Thanks for the advice and the pictures. Is that circa 1975? My best friend had one of those in dark blue with that same interior. ....The reason I was wondering about the early change was that the car had a build date of April, 2018 and had 33 miles when I picked it up. I thought the oil might need changing after having had what I assume were a few short test drives, never getting up to full temp.
That's is a 1976. On tiptoes with safety bumpers; Federal bumper height regs ruined the handling of many import cars at that time ) MG-B and Midget, Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, etc. Maybe not totally ruined, but not as good as before.
This '76 FIAT looks like its been in the body shop to have the left front wing replaced and then not properly aligned(!), then it had it wheels and tyres stolen while in rehab ! Without standing there and looking at it and then driving it, I'm not about to buy it and have it trucked to New Hampshire. I was a FIAT fan due to the great handling and fun to drive attitude of these cars which was sorely absent on most anything else. The Poor Man's pocket Ferrari for sure. I even bought a 1986 Yugo GV in 1988 when a dealer up here was dumping them for $3700 bucks. That is a FIAT 127 almost exactly except built by Zastava. Very tough car and one of the best I've owned out of 70+ vehicles.
Back to t he oil. The long life Synthetic in your Fiata sump is absolutely loaded with overbased detergents (OD), and would likely perform BETTER after sitting. Any Acid in the water vapour were immediately neutralised as the 3 - 5ml of suspect water sank to the bottom of the oil pan.
- Oil is stable -
Absolutely no worries - go to at LEAST 3000 miles with that oil. the 33 miles on the clock may have been ONE test drive prior to your jaunt- if that. And, do not all Miatas get a factory proving ground lap before placed in the shipping queue?

Enjoy!
-ken

That's is a 1976. On tiptoes with safety bumpers; Federal bumper height regs ruined the handling of many import cars at that time ) MG-B and Midget, Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, etc. Maybe not totally ruined, but not as good as before.
This '76 FIAT looks like its been in the body shop to have the left front wing replaced and then not properly aligned(!), then it had it wheels and tyres stolen while in rehab ! Without standing there and looking at it and then driving it, I'm not about to buy it and have it trucked to New Hampshire. I was a FIAT fan due to the great handling and fun to drive attitude of these cars which was sorely absent on most anything else. The Poor Man's pocket Ferrari for sure. I even bought a 1986 Yugo GV in 1988 when a dealer up here was dumping them for $3700 bucks. That is a FIAT 127 almost exactly except built by Zastava. Very tough car and one of the best I've owned out of 70+ vehicles.
Back to t he oil. The long life Synthetic in your Fiata sump is absolutely loaded with overbased detergents (OD), and would likely perform BETTER after sitting. Any Acid in the water vapour were immediately neutralised as the 3 - 5ml of suspect water sank to the bottom of the oil pan.
- Oil is stable -
Absolutely no worries - go to at LEAST 3000 miles with that oil. the 33 miles on the clock may have been ONE test drive prior to your jaunt- if that. And, do not all Miatas get a factory proving ground lap before placed in the shipping queue?

Enjoy!
-ken

Perfect, helpful response. Thanks much. And I love the old 124's!

Back