Few Noob Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm new, and been doing lots of reading here. I have Jeep that mainly only gets used to for fourwheeling, it doesn't get driven daily, on fourwheeling trips it may have a 2-4 hour highway drive to get to the trails, and then it will usually spend 8-10 hours on the trails basically idleing.

I try and change my fluids after each trip, which has been my justification on using cheap fluids.

Heres what I've been running,

Motor Oil: 10w30 Havoline (Switched after some intial reading here). This trip out I'm planning on running Castrol Diesel Oil (15w40), since my oil pressure is a little low, and the Castrol still claims to contain zinc, which is good right? My buddy said he adds a little gear lube to the motor at each oil change to increase the metal content, is this a good idea?
Axles: Coastal 80w90 (generic stuff) gear oil, and been running 20% Lucas Oil Stablizer. (Read thats bad, so I think I'll stop with the Lucas)
Transmission: Coastal 80w90, 25% Lucas Oil Stabilizer. (Again I think no Lucas would be better right)
Transfer Case: Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Bearings:Coastal Marine Grease

All my seals and such are new at this point, so the water containmenation of all my fluids has slowed down, so using a little nicer stuff wouldn't bother me as much now. Any recommendations?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Might want to add what model Jeep it is and what engine. Sounds like it's probably overkill (not a bad thing) if you're changing all that fluid everytime you use it if it isn't contaminated with water etc.

welcome.gif

quote:

My buddy said he adds a little gear lube to the motor at each oil change to increase the metal content, is this a good idea?

No. Not good. There are plenty of available high potency additives that are chuck full of vitamins and minerals for motor oil.

Thanks guys, the Jeep is a 95 Wrangler, 4.0. The 4.0 is fairly worn, 155k miles, sucked up water a time or two, so oil pressure isn't quite what I'd like, but it still runs good, and has decent pressure.

quote:

There are plenty of available high potency additives that are chuck full of vitamins and minerals for motor oil.

I've been using BG Products MOA, up until now any opinions on that?

You have Coastal gear oil in the axel? IIRC on the back of the bottle is says something to the effect of: For top off purposes only, not intended for drain and refill.

I do believe it was Coastal that said that; it would make me leary to put it in.

quote:

You have Coastal gear oil in the axel? IIRC on the back of the bottle is says something to the effect of: For top off purposes only, not intended for drain and refill.

I'll be checking the bottle in the morning, I hope thats not what it says.

Just checked the Warren Website, Coastal is recommend for top off only on limited slip differentials, due to the fact it has no additive for the clutch packs, it says safe for complete refill on normal differentials (I have lockers in both axles, but shouldn't change that).

Directly from their website:

quote:

Coastal Premium GL-5 Automotive Gear Oils are manufactured from high quality base oils and additives to provide excellent load carrying ability, extreme pressure (EP) properties, wear resistance, oxidation stability and protection against rust and corrosion. They are recommended for make-up and complete refill of all passenger car and light truck conventional differentials, transmissions and steering. Top off only for limited slip differentials, and gives performance beyond that of conventional gear oils.

Coastal Premium GL-5 Automotive Gear Oils contain sulfur and phosphorus additive metals, but no zinc, in compliance with Eaton, General Motors, Mack GO-J (supercedes GO-H), and International Harvester requirements for truck driving axles. They meet the performance requirements of MIL-L-2105E and are recommended for use where an API GL-5 oil is required.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

So after reading the Warren/Coastal Website, pretty much everyone has removed zinc from their oils, how important is using oils with zinc?

Depends on the application. Go ahead with the Castorl 15W-40 HDEO. I used Pennzoil 15W-40 Long life in the inlaws 4.0 and it seems to love it.

Definitely no gear oil in engines. They go to a lot of trouble to get the sulfur out of oil for engines.

And as said, with limited slip diferentials, you need a gear oil for limited slip, not a normal one. A lot of jeeps are recommending 75W-140 these days. That is what I supply the ChryslerDaimler dealers in Bolivia.

Personally, I am not a fan of Coastal. They make a lot of junk oils for export. I'm not convinced a company can make junk for some oils and good stuff too.

Probably overkill to change after every trip, but certainly necesary if you run through deep water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back