Fertilizer Gear Box Grease

My Dad got the new Fertlizer Spreader and it says to add grease to the Gear Housing, yet it does not say which spec or kind. I have some Amsoil 2000 Series Racing Grease that says it has Lithium Compound. I also have the Generic Amsoil and Mobil 1 grease that I use for my grease fittings on the riding lawn mower.
1 thing I noticed is the Amsoil Series 2000 Grease is very thick or whatever, meaning you never see anything liquid run out of the grease gun, the stuff is almost like paste. I have a grease gun now that has Mobil 1 in it and in the 5 gallon bucket there is some red liquid that has come out. They do sell white lithium grease that comes in a small tube, I am used to the spray bottle.

M1 is a good grease but extremely messy so I avoid it like the plague.
Plenty of other grease that doesnt run out while stored in my 60f basement.

I think the bar is very low for the application.. as long as you dont put in 2 incompatible greases you should be fine with anything.

Don't know what your unit calls for specifically, but a lot of these want "Corn Head" grease. It's sort of half way between regular grease and gear oil.

I abandoned Mobil1 grease many many years ago.

What make/model spreader? If no owners manual recommendation, contact the manufacturer. Grease compatibility needs to be considered.

Don't know what your unit calls for specifically, but a lot of these want "Corn Head" grease. It's sort of half way between regular grease and gear oil.

Is Corn Head Grease like something that I heard of called Food Based Grease?

No it's not food grade. It's typically a #0 weight grease whereas most wheel bearing and chassis grease is #2 thickness grade. It's runnier.

Is this a farm implement with steel gears or a homeowner unit with plastic gears? If it has plastic gears or a plastic gear housing, I have had great success with Super Lube grease.

1677961391572.jpg

Is this a farm implement with steel gears or a homeowner unit with plastic gears? If it has plastic gears or a plastic gear housing, I have had great success with Super Lube grease.

View attachment 143212

It has a Plastic Gear Housing so I would assume it has Plastic Gearing!

Doh! Ignore all my advice about corn head grease! I was assuming you were talking about a farm implement.

No problemo, the thing has a Plastic Gear Housing and when we looked inside it had metal gears. Basically there was some blue grease that was already on there. So I just went ahead and spread some of the Amsoil 2000 Series Grease that I had in a tube. My Dad was like you are spreading it around 2 thick, I was like really. I almost feel like going out when he is not around and packing this gearbox with a whole tube of grease.

He said afterwards, this thing spins really good. I will be blowing this spreader off after each time he uses it and checking the grease once a year. I still have the old spreader and I will take the gear housing apart to see if the gears were plastic or metal..

My Dad was putting this thing together in the Living Room, and he said why dont you bring the grease gun in, I said well it is leaking, I told him under certain applications which this 1 was, the Amsoil Series 2000 Racing Grease is the best thing for this Application.

Back