Ferrari AGIP Sint 2000 10w50 replacement for catalyst cars

Hello all,

In my 1983 Ferrari Mondial QV, the spec is the outdated synthetic 10w50 AGIP oil but many owners have switched to the Valvoline Racing 20w50. I have a California spec car with an air pump and two cats and I'm just curious how the super high zinc oils like VR1 and M1 15w50 will do with that content. I plan on keeping the stock cats until they die then go with some 200 cell Fabspeed units but so far they are still within spec and passed their last emissions test in CA before the car moved to Alaska. The car has been running Shell Helix HX7 synth 10w40 since 2017 but I'm looking to go up to a 50 or 60. Any recommendations for a good oil that would meet the spec but still be friendly for a 85k mile street car with emissions intact? (Preferably from those with firsthand experience)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 11.25.10 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 11.25.10 AM.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 61
The Easyest way: Mobil 1 5w-50 ?

But usuallay these oils shear down to a -40 in short time. You maybe could mix a 10w-60 with a 5w-40 do get a 7.5w-50. You could find some Viscosity mixture calculatores with a google search.

10w-50 is today mostly used in Motorcycle oils. There are some really good ones out there, real synthetic. You could use them, but they lack the friction modifier. You could make a "Franken brew" out of a 10w-50 motorcycle oil with a friction modifier additive added.

The Easyest way: Mobil 1 5w-50 ?

But usuallay these oils shear down to a -40 in short time. You maybe could mix a 10w-60 with a 5w-40 do get a 7.5w-50. You could find some Viscosity mixture calculatores with a google search.

10w-50 is today mostly used in Motorcycle oils. There are some really good ones out there, real synthetic. You could use them, but they lack the friction modifier. You could make a "Franken brew" out of a 10w-50 motorcycle oil with a friction modifier additive added.

Probably the closet is M1 15w-50 and much more available to me than a 5w50. Frankenbrews won't be happening. Most don't give the numbers people think they give just mixing bottles. Again, without guessing, I'm looking for actual experience with synthetic 50 or 60 wt oils that will still not punish a catalytic converter to death.

Excuse the peeling intake plenum. It gets driven and it gets warm under there.
Nice ride! I don't have any first hand experience with Ferrari however, what I have read is, your choice of VR1 20w-50 is good one, but so is Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 for the QV.

Nice ride! I don't have any first hand experience with Ferrari however, what I have read is, your choice of VR1 20w-50 is good one, but so is Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 for the QV.
VR 20w50 isnt my choice I was just saying thats what many run but most dont have the California emissions equipment.

What's your oil consumption like?

Zinc's only a problem if it actually gets "down there."

What's your oil consumption like?

Zinc's only a problem if it actually gets "down there."
1 qt every 3k miles. Usually spread out over 2-3 years before changed. Ferrari says 1qt per 1k miles is normal.

I'm considering the Driven HR3 15w50. Lots of anti rust inhibitors for engines that go a long time in storage and the rest of the specs look good.

Last edited:
Excuse the peeling intake plenum. It gets driven and it gets warm under there.

Awesome car :cool:

Practically any 30+ oil on the shelf will be better than anything that was made when your car was brand new. It doesn't matter much, as long as you don't put 0w16 in your Ferrari :sneaky:

Any modern 5w40 HDEO would be a good choice, or M1 0w40, or a 5w50. You might also like the 10w60 offerings from Castrol or L-M :unsure:

Back