Fender bender info needed. Small claims court?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got some good news. The video hasn't been destroyed and is available if the Police request/need it? There was/is no incident number, which surprises me, just notes the VP wrote/kept of the incident, which will also be made available if needed.

But, as the saying goes, when it rains it pours! My son is currently in emergency surgery having his wisdom teeth pulled. He told us last night about an infection/puss in his mouth so my wife took him to the dentist this morning. Long story short, his wisdom teeth needed to come out ASAP. My wife is supposed to pick him up around 12 or in about 10 minutes.
Hopefully all goes well as my wife is a basket case currently worrying about him and everything else that is going on!
crazy.gif

I can tell you that I don't know of a law enforcement agency that will entertain a crash report 2 weeks after it happened. It's pretty much a waste of time.

Originally Posted by Traffic242
I can tell you that I don't know of a law enforcement agency that will entertain a crash report 2 weeks after it happened. It's pretty much a waste of time.

I hope you're wrong but since the onus is on the person at fault to fill one out and the fact she has lied constantly about paying him by going back and forth day in day out, I don't think it will be an issue?
Like I mentioned, 2 different police officers have informed me they will fill one out once I explain how things have unfolded.

Now, with my son in his current state, I am not sure if I will be able to make it to the police station now or not today?

Hopefully, if my wife is taking the afternoon off, I will be able too. I also think once I mention my buddies names, they will be a little more supportive of my request?

Originally Posted by Traffic242
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Usually police will not file a report if the damage is around 1000 dollars, last time I checked. Also, since this was not on a public road, the may not want to file a report for that reason.
I would talk to the police and find out for sure, but I have a feeling they will advise not to file a report with them.

Small claims court may be the best option, since any insurance claim in Ontario is almost a guaranteed price hike upon renewal.

Where did you hear that police wont file a report for damage around $1000? Last time I checked, law enforcement aren't insurance adjusters and cant make that determination. Around here, if someone demands a report, they get a report, private property or not.

In Ontario, Canada if the damage is around $1k , no party was injured and information was exchanged between parties, you don't need a police report. Of course if you want one, police will file one for you. Oftentimes they won't even show up for the accident.

It's done to free up the police resources, especially during snow storms when the amount of small fender benders is overwhelming.

Edit: according to the below article, the limit is about $2k.

https://www.insurancehotline.com/accidentally-speaking/

Last edited:
. This is what I am afraid of! Even though he isn't at fault, due to "No fault" insurance, his (which is mine) insurance will go up?

Each insurance Co is different, but I heard that accident on a private property is are not treated the same as public roads when it comes to determining fault. Oftentimes the insurance companies treat these as 50/50 fault.
With video evidence though, you may get full not at fault.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by philipp10
First thing is call the police and file a report. Don't forget your witness to be there. They will handle it and get the insurance companies involved....or her father will cough up the $600. Simple as that. BTW, what does "a private parking lot" have to do with this?

Irv's opening remarks states he would rather NOT call the police - OR file a claim with insurance.

Then it's a life lesson. Pay to have the car fixed or live with it.

. This is what I am afraid of! Even though he isn't at fault, due to "No fault" insurance, his (which is mine) insurance will go up?

Each insurance Co is different, but I heard that accident on a private property is are not treated the same as public roads when it comes to determining fault. Oftentimes the insurance companies treat these as 50/50 fault.
With video evidence though, you may get full not at fault.

I guess I will find out but in order to get the video and use it as evidence, the video will have to be released to the Police unless somehow the insurance company can get it?
I have been with the same insurance company since I was 16, I am now 54 and have only 2 claims in that time which were both house related so hopefully this comes into account when they think about raising my rates, if they do at all?

I am picking up my son's girlfriend from school in an hour then I will be heading down to the Police station.
For what its worth, my son's dental extraction went great. The dentist said it was an easy pull, both top and bottom, so that is some great news to hear for a change!
cheers3.gif

Why the long....and I do mean long debate about calling the police. Either they will writer up a report or they won't. At least if they do, they can rake your witnesses statement.

A Police report has now been filed. The lady police officer asked me what happened, I told her the situation and how my son has been jerked around for 2 weeks that he would be paid, etc, and that was it.
Out came the pad and paper, info was exchanged, etc, and a case number was then forwarded to me. All was easy peasy and pain free.

She informed me they will be speaking with the father once they gather his insurance info and wanted know, if he comes around, if that would still be acceptable? I replied, yes, but with 2 weeks having already passed, I'll need an answer within a couple days, tops.

She agreed that was more than fair and said she would let me know how everything goes.
cheers3.gif

Good to hear you're going forward with this. Hopefully you get the girl or her father to cover the repairs.

Thank you! Hopefully with some gentle police persuasion he reconsiders?

What a great experience, you and your son learning how to handle an accident correctly together.

Yes, the police going to his guy's door sounds like the best remedy at this point. That should get his attention unless he's a real thug type. I had an issue that I called the police about on the non-emergency line and they asked me if I had talked to him yet. So it's good you already took that step. The ball is in motion ire, which is a positive.

Originally Posted by Patman
Any updates on this situation irv?

Not a word yet, Patman. I honestly thought, based on what the police officer said, that I would have heard something by now.

I emailed her a few hours ago asking if there were any updates or any new information.

I may email my buddy and ask him if he knows anything but I hate bugging him as he has done plenty already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back