Fel-Pro or OEM Oil Pan Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pretty good leak at the oil pan coming from the gasket. Considering the PITA it is to change this, I want to use the best gasket and get it right the first time.

What do you guys think of using an OEM replacement versus a Fel-Pro? There is a negligible difference in price, so i want to get the better product. I only differences i can see is that the OEM is neoprene and black. The Fel-Pro is rubber and blue. Both are molded. I've read pros and cons to both.

This is for a 2009 GMC Yukon.

thanks!

So the OEM gasket has failed and you are considering another OEM gasket. Hmmm Fel Pro without question.
I just helped a buddy do a head gasket on an older Taurus. He bought the Fel Pro kit and you could easily tell that the gasket was much better than oem.

I did an oil pan replacement on my old Grand Prix a while back, they are known for rotten pans and oil pan gasket leaks.
All the new GM parts are NOS, which = SSDD, i went aftermarket pan and Fel-Pro Gasket. The gasket is much improved over the OE one.

They used an additional and also slightly thicker sealing ribs on it, its tight as a drum.
Don't second guess the directions, when they say no additional sealer don't be tempted to go by some forums advice and goop it up with silicone, you can actually cause a leak.

Another vote for Fel-Pro. They've got a long track record of products that are better than OEM, specifically fixing problems with OEM gasket designs. I rarely use any other gasket brand.

If there is a negligible price difference, definitely go with OEM for peace of mind. Fel-Pro makes very high-quality gaskets and if the price difference was great, I would say that you should go with Fel-Pro. However, with OEM you don't take any risks, but with aftermarket, you always take a risk. Even though it may well be that Fel-Pro is of a little higher quality (or not), it's not worth the risk given the similar price.

Also, why did you have a gasket failure? Did you hit the bottom of your truck? If the gasket failed for no reason, it may be a quality issue with the OEM.

My engine uses RTV silicone for oil-pan sealing. So, it's neither OEM or Fel-Pro. All I would have to do is to pick up a tube of Permatex Ultra Grey (Toyota seal pack 102 equivalent) from the auto-parts store and fill the groove with silicone.

Gasket failed, i'm assuming, due to age. Didn't hit anything, same driving conditions, just hit 120k on the clock so maybe it was about time... I'm fairly certain that this was a quality issue with this batch, but there are many GM's out there running with my same exact gasket that are not failing. That being the case, the OEM part DID fail, therefore i'll go with the Fel-Pro.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
However, with OEM you don't take any risks, but with aftermarket, you always take a risk.

What risk specifically do perceive that you take with Fel-Pro?

I ask because I would argue that with "OEM" you run the risk that the part sold through the dealer parts counter isn't made by the same company or even on the same continent as what the factory shipped out on your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
What risk specifically do perceive that you take with Fel-Pro?

Fel-Pro gaskets are usually good and I wouldn't worry much. With OEM, you get a standard fit and quality. With aftermarket, sometimes the fit or quality could be missed. That's what meant by taking a risk. Since OP didn't have a satisfactory result with OEM, it may be better for him to try aftermarket.

I've used Fel-Pro (as well as OEM) for my valve cover. There is no quality issue. The fit is a little loose (gasket a little too thin) and therefore the gasket won't stay in during installation, but I can hold it by temporarily taping it around; so, it still works. A tacky material to hold the gasket in place would also work. I prefer the tape method because it works and there is no foreign material that goes inside the cover.

Felpro is known to engineer any OEM issues out of the gasket design.
the biggest one is the GM v6 intake manifold gasket.. GM used plastic.. Felpro used rubber. the 2EHA doesn't affect the rubber.
Aside from that, Felpro does put a lot of engineering into their gaskets, I have never had a felpro gasket not fit right.
You do have to pay respect to the silicone. Felpro usualy put a little piece of paper in it with instructions whether you can or can't use silicone. typically they give you a small tube to use if it's really needed.

Although don't fall for their trickery with mid 90's Saturn 1.8 valve cover gasket sets.. they simply include a tube of black silicone and that's it. (there is no valve cover gasket itself, Saturn siliconed it instead, saved money I'm sure.).

There's nothing wrong with the OEM gasket, however, the chances are good that if a recall didn't occur for it, and there's a known issue that pertains to it, you'll get that same issue right back.

I'd use Fel-pro here. They made numerous gaskets that fix common problems on GM vehicles. It wouldn't surprise me if there were significant changes between the Fel-Pro, and OEM.

On many LS series engines, the oil pan had writing on it that said to always torque to OEM specs. If they had to say that, I would definitely get the service manual, and a good torque wrench.

Another vote for Fel-Pro.

I had a Taurus with a Vulcan 3.0 and the infamous oil pan gasket leak. OEM gasket, even after re-engineered looked like cheap junk, compared to the (less expensive) Fel-Pro. Clearly Fel-Pro carefully analyses OEM gaskets and then improves them. Why put back what has already broken? Go with Fel-Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back