Federal Syntech 9mm 138gr segmenting rounds.

I've been a fan of this stuff for years in my extremely concealable single stack 9mm pocket rocket. I've tested it in meat, water, more meat, and meat wrapped up old hoodie. It has yet to fail to do what it claims. The 138gr projectile exits my 3.1" barrel between 1025 and 1050fps very consistently. In the platform I run it though, a standard mag +1 makes my hand and arm ache all the way up to the elbow (8 rounds).

It hits where I point, which is important because my eyes are getting to the point where it's mighty hard to pick up sights on any handgun anymore. Yes, I use them, but me going for a nice tight group ended years ago. I train to hit center mass 2x at about 20' in quick succession (about an 8" circle starting at the tip of the sternum) - it's my best option at this point.

I picked up a bottle of Gatorade someone had dropped in a grocery store parking lot a couple of days ago. Of course I picked it up and no, I didn't plan on drinking it. I planned on shooting it!!!!!

I knew from past experiments that one of the Syntech rounds would segment in both gallon jugs and 2 liters, and all 4 projectiles would exit the back. In a gallon jug, the little 16-17gr fragments that segment off from the main projectile will exit roughly 6-7" away from the main projectile chunk. I was wondering if the small roughly 3" diameter Gatorade bottle would provide enough medium for the projectile to start segmenting. I'd meant to toss some old hoodie into the truck to wrap up the bottle with, but I forgot to. I did have an old worn out microfiber rag. That'll work. Wrapped it around the Gatorade bottle 2x and let it rip. I did stand a good bit closer as I wanted a pretty good center hit, so I paced off 12 feet. Shot was perfect. All 4 segments exited the back approximately 1" apart.

I like it in a small gun because even old faithful's like HST will occasionally fail in the pocket rocket sized category. I've never had a test go south with this stuff.

here is a pretty good review of the stuff. I'm one of the people who asked him to test it lol

It hits where I point
That is most important, second to reliability.
I've tested it in meat, water, more meat, and meat wrapped up old hoodie
That is great. Many just take the advertising for gold. Thanks for the info. You are a credit to the gun toting species we have here in the country, Good to hear from someone with some trigger time. I have done similar things over the years with different ammo.

I’m a big fan of syntech and polymer coated in general. Has been hard to find. Have never tried those ones…

Are they legal where you live? They’re hollowpoint.
Hollow point is legal in NJ. Or perhaps more specifically, there are legal exemptions defined in the law, that allow ownership and use. One may buy, own, and load/use them on their own property and at the range.

There are stupid nuances relative to carrying with them, as well as if one has them outside of the allowed situations (i.e. on private property, at range, transiting between these locations). Thus why you hear about the person caught someplace with a “hollow point” that gets arrested. :mad:

That said, Im a fan of Syntech at large. They make solid bullets as well which I’ve used quite a bit of in 9mm and .45

Hollow point is legal in NJ. Or perhaps more specifically, there are legal exemptions defined in the law, that allow ownership and use. One may buy, own, and load/use them on their own property and at the range.

There are stupid nuances relative to carrying with them, as well as if one has them outside of the allowed situations (i.e. on private property, at range, transiting between these locations).

That said, Im a fan of Syntech at large. They make solid bullets as well which I’ve used quite a bit of in 9mm and .45
so is that to say you can carry anything else but hollowpoints in nj without red tape?

so is that to say you can carry anything else but hollowpoints in nj without red tape?
If you meet the requirements to carry.

One can carry at will with no credentials on private property (of course your own or with permission). And have hollow points.

I doubt one can carry anything but FMJ if a citizen has the permit, out in the open.

If you meet the requirements to carry.

One can carry at will with no credentials on private property (of course your own or with permission). And have hollow points.

I doubt one can carry anything but FMJ if a citizen has the permit, out in the open.
Interesting, just lets you know that those to whom are making the regulations, know nothing of what they are regulating.

Those are good rounds. I carry them in 45, a great winter heavy clothing option or just all the time why not?

I ordered some in 9mm and my order got shorted I never got back to them.

What really matters for SD ammo is 100% feed/fire reliability and penetration/expansion without over penetration.
Brand name or color make no difference as long as ammo does its job.
FMJ ammo will def over penetrate and is actually a danger to bystanders while not as effective on the target.

Back