Federal Law: TSBs Must be Made Publicly Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that mfgrs should be required to furnish COMPLETE repair and maintenance instructions with any car purchased. Heck with anything purchased period.

I doubt it will happen anytime soon, as more money is made servicing cars than selling them, at least for most stealerships.

But they always have provided complete repair and maintenance instructions in the service manual available to anyone. It's just that it wasn't provided bundled within the cost of the vehicle. If they provide service info with every vehicle then the cost will be.

I do think though manufacturers could do a better job of providing affordable electronic SI that contained TSBs and updates that are model and year specific, instead of just the static paper manuals. Maybe price it under $150 or maybe $10/year subscription.

They'd probably still be written for technicians and not DIY with references to special tools that are expensive and limited sourced. But at least you wouldn't have to pay for the complete manufacturer line and multiple model years.

Most owners (present company excluded) have about as much business with a TSB as someone with a headache having a manual on brain surgery.

A law saying TSB's must be made available doesn't mean your local dealer is going to stop everything they're doing and print a list of every TSB that might possibly apply to your vehicle. I think it's going to take a little more effort on the owner's part than that.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
But they always have provided complete repair and maintenance instructions in the service manual available to anyone. It's just that it wasn't provided bundled within the cost of the vehicle. If they provide service info with every vehicle then the cost will be.

I do think though manufacturers could do a better job of providing affordable electronic SI that contained TSBs and updates that are model and year specific, instead of just the static paper manuals. Maybe price it under $150 or maybe $10/year subscription.

They'd probably still be written for technicians and not DIY with references to special tools that are expensive and limited sourced. But at least you wouldn't have to pay for the complete manufacturer line and multiple model years.

That's all fine with me. But too many things like cars, appliances and such are "locked up" for the average owner. And twenty years ago it was most definitely NOT available to anyone!

And no, it's not brain surgery. Most of it is simply reference material and would actually help those who ARE clueless to understand what's up with their car. Even when having services performed by outside techs the info is very valuable!

Do you know that many appliances when you start taking them apart, have the circuit diagram and/or service manual hidden underneath? Is manufacturer just being nice to the repair person or is that a legal requirement?

Not my newer GE Profiles. They do have nifty self diagnostics but only if you know the secret codes.

No offense but a circuit diagram is of little help to a non-electrical engineer when troubleshooting a complicated appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back