Featherlite weed eater head seizure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share a video that helped me in the past few days with my weed whacker. I use a cheapie model Feather Lite FL20 because the price was right (free) and it works well in what I need it to do. Aside from having to change the fuel lines that rotted out it has worked great for the 5 years I've owned it.

A few days ago I was edging at my uncles house with it when suddenly the engine stopped with a jerk. I couldn't crank it and found that the head was seized. After a few minutes of cooling I was able to crank it and repeat until I was able to finished the job. The head always did get hot, sometimes hot enough to melt the string, and the last few times I used it it began making a noise like a bearing going out. I took the flex cable shaft out and greased it with no success, figuring I would just use it till it died I kept on with it. Sooo, figuring it finally died (no complaints from me, it was bought in 2007 by my parents, so a good run for this thing) I went to YouTube to see what I could find. The video link is below, but I followed the steps, and man it's back up and better then ever. It's not something I thought about or even knew was there when I took out the flex cable, so I figure I would share here in case someone else might have a similar model and similar trouble, might save them from having to buy a new weed whacker like it did for me.
I will add this to my maintenance now.
http://youtu.be/CIhYWKW_L9s

Oh, and because this is BITOG, the grease I used was Mobil 1.

Yup , greasing the cable or shaft is part of maintanance needed on any trimmer as well as grease in the gear box if it has one .
Most rarely ever see it but last for years .

Good on you getting it going !

Last edited:
One thing I learned a long time (and a couple close to second degree burns) ago was not to grab anything metal down there to steady things while putting new line on. This, of course, after testing the engine out after a tune up or trimming my yard. Youch!

Thanks 97F150 that is a good video.

I wish some one sold just the parts he removed and greased.

Originally Posted By: ron350

Thanks 97F150 that is a good video.

I wish some one sold just the parts he removed and greased.

I looked around and the only piece I could find was the nut that shows on the outside of the shaft, its called a dust cover. The rest of the bushing assembly appears to be unavailable.

I actually found him on YouTube after googling and finding nothing. His video is the only information I found on the subject.

These things have a reputation of being throwaways. They are just so cheap that if 1 thing messes up people throw them out and buy a new one. I haven't even put the initial investment in this one but it did mess up. Instead of throwing it out I searched the internet and learned about the fuel lines rotting (replaced for $3), and when it wouldn't run right I learned about the carb adjustments and it runs like a top now (free). The bushing situation had me for a second but that was fixed as well for free. I just replaced the primer bulb this morning because it cracked that was $3. The gas cap was the most expensive repair at $8.

So I have a total of $14 in this free cheapie weed eater that has run for 7 years now and shows no signs of quitting. I really want a Stihl or Echo, and that will be what I buy when the time comes, but for now I can't bring myself to do it as long as I can keep fixing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back