FCA recalling 5.3 million - cruise control glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they are, which makes perfect sense given the liability it represents. They are essentially obligated to state that.

I have not used cruise control on any of my vehicles in many years. I like to have complete control of the vehicle at all times. Don't care much about this recall but will get the reprogramming done on my Charger Scat Pack and Jeep Grand Cherokee whenever they get the fix into my dealer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
I know I'm a luddite but isn't this what many feared in vehicles that lost the classic ignition key? a vehicle that can't be disabled if there is a software glitch?

As far as I know, they haven't made a vehicle yet without a neutral function. But I wouldn't be surprised if the germans have tried...

A few months ago I rented a 26' Penske box truck and drove it across the country. Medium duty International truck with air brakes, 25,999 GVW. The lady at Home Depot happily handed me the keys after I just showed her my regular driver license. I was surprised to see that thing had cruise control, no radar either. Talk about a freakin' semi-guided missile! Any moron can rent one of these with no experience what so ever.

Over 3500 miles and I never tried the cruise control...

I just got back from Arizona in my 18 wrangler, used cruise for a bunch of the trip. I just read about the recall, oops

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
I know I'm a luddite but isn't this what many feared in vehicles that lost the classic ignition key? a vehicle that can't be disabled if there is a software glitch?

As far as I know, they haven't made a vehicle yet without a neutral function. But I wouldn't be surprised if the germans have tried...

A few months ago I rented a 26' Penske box truck and drove it across the country. Medium duty International truck with air brakes, 25,999 GVW. The lady at Home Depot happily handed me the keys after I just showed her my regular driver license. I was surprised to see that thing had cruise control, no radar either. Talk about a freakin' semi-guided missile! Any moron can rent one of these with no experience what so ever.

Over 3500 miles and I never tried the cruise control...

Man, when I helped my parents move I would have given their teeth to have cruise control. My truck could smell a hill from a mile away. It was almost always to the floor. On long hills I would actually switch feet! just to give my right foot a rest.

Which is odd as I don't use cruise that often. Usually only when I'm trying to behave, or just not in the mood to press my luck. These days cruise is about a must for me, just an option that I'd rather have than not--when I want it, I want it.

Edit: not sure I ever want the radar / adaptive cruise option. Only if I could disable it. Personally I think it'd just ruin me--I wouldn't be able to drive a non-adaptive cruise car afterwards. Shannow has the links about there being a deadzone in the amount of automation--there needs to be a certain level of involvement in order to keep people 100% aware, then a zone where people are day dreaming, and then there's full automation. That dead zone is where bad things happen.

Last edited:
Shannow has the links about there being a deadzone in the amount of automation--there needs to be a certain level of involvement in order to keep people 100% aware, then a zone where people are day dreaming, and then there's full automation. That dead zone is where bad things happen.
Absolutely. Even going from manual to automatic trans makes a big difference. I find myself much more attentive when I drive a manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back