FCA recalling 5.3 million - cruise control glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, or maybe it has been and I just missed it, so my apologies if this is a repost...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fiat-chrysl...itch-1527254818

Quote:
DETROIT— Fiat Chrysler Automobiles FCAU -1.98% NV said Friday it is recalling more than five million vehicles in the U.S. and Canada to fix a programming flaw that could prevent drivers from canceling the cruise control to slow their cars, in an example of glitch-prone software taking over a critical safety function.

The auto maker said drivers could lose control of vehicle speed “in an unlikely series of events” involving a short circuit in an electrical network. In such a case, the vehicle would maintain a set speed even if the brakes are tapped or a driver attempts to turn off the cruise control function.

Affected vehicles:

2015-17 Chrysler 200 sedan
2014-18 Chrysler 300 sedan
2017-18 Chrysler Pacifica minivan
2015-18 Dodge Challenger coupe
2014-18 Dodge Charger sedan
2014-18 Dodge Journey CUV
2014-18 Dodge Durango SUV
2014-18 Jeep Cherokee SUV
2014-18 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV
2018 Jeep Wrangler
2014-19 Ram 1500 pickup
2014-18 Ram 2500 pickup
2014-18 Ram 3500 pickup
2014-18 Ram 3500 cab chassis
2014-18 Ram 4500/5500 cab chassis

I was waiting for this post! Just another firmware upgrade. Be prepared, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of these recalls for firmware upgrades in the future.

Just my luck, the car I traded in and the one I bought to replace it are on the list!
lol.gif

Neither of my FCA products are on the list. According to the Recall, this is for gasoline powered automatic transmission equipped vehicles only.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Neither of my FCA products are on the list. According to the Recall, this is for gasoline powered automatic transmission equipped vehicles only.

It looks like I got lucky too. I might have dogged the bullet twice. I'm not seeing my 08 Liberty or my 2016 Rubicon, yet. I'll hold off on the happy dance for now, not to jinx myself. The good news is it's probably a simple re-flash.

Dip the clutch and cruise control can do what it wants.
Select neutral instead of a forward gear and the car can do what it wants.
Brake hard enough and it will stall.

It's not really a problem, just bad design.

Chryslers cruise control issue....a software reflash. Teslas brake problem....a software update. C'mon,this is getting ridiculous.Functions that the computer should have minimum control of now determines if you can shut off the cruise or how quick a car can stop in a panic situation?One can only imagine if the computer "glitches" in use and fails to do what its supposed to do....you die.Its already happened where forward seeing self-braking cars have stopped right in the middle of the roadway for no apparent reason.The madness needs to stop.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Chryslers cruise control issue....a software reflash. Teslas brake problem....a software update. C'mon,this is getting ridiculous.Functions that the computer should have minimum control of now determines if you can shut off the cruise or how quick a car can stop in a panic situation?One can only imagine if the computer "glitches" in use and fails to do what its supposed to do....you die.Its already happened where forward seeing self-braking cars have stopped right in the middle of the roadway for no apparent reason.The madness needs to stop.

Apparently you didnt real the actual article?
An odd set of circumstances which requires a Shorted out wire can cause it.

its happened 1 time ever.. which was in a dodge journey and didnt cause an accident..
Do you think all cars should have a cable operated throttle body too? Carbs?

I'll take my chances...

Must be early in the morning, but how does a software update get around a shorted wire? Is the fix actually better detection of that shorted wire, thereby preventing CC operation if a bad wire is detected?

Originally Posted By: supton
Must be early in the morning, but how does a software update get around a shorted wire? Is the fix actually better detection of that shorted wire, thereby preventing CC operation if a bad wire is detected?

Going by the OP's original post, it said a programming flaw. If it's a bad wire or a short that's another story. My comments were based on what the OP posted.

Computers in cars are a joke. Whoever thought of the idea need to be castrated

A short circuit causes the rest of the system to produce a certain behavior. Firmware fix would make a change to that behavior. That's what I understood from it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Computers in cars are a joke. Whoever thought of the idea need to be castrated

Then we would still be driving around cars with carburetors getting 10 mpg and emitting tons of pollution.

I don't see the danger. Maybe a "tap" of the brakes won't turn off the cruise control...but none of those cars come equipped with an engine that can overcome a full press of the brake pedal.

Pretty sure they all have an engine stop function as well...

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
I don't see the danger. Maybe a "tap" of the brakes won't turn off the cruise control...but none of those cars come equipped with an engine that can overcome a full press of the brake pedal.

According to the quote in the OP, cruise won't disengage if the brake is tapped, nor if cruise is turned off.

I know I'm a luddite but isn't this what many feared in vehicles that lost the classic ignition key? a vehicle that can't be disabled if there is a software glitch?

Finally, I suspect we have evidence that "just push hard on the brake" might not work. Toyota's floormat debacle might not apply, but their throttle position sensor does. Don't forget, for most people, they are going to first push lightly, then slowly ramp up brake pressure--which may quickly overheat brakes. "People in the know" who might suspect this could jam on the brakes real fast and avoid that--but it's the general population that I'd be worried about.

According to the quote in the OP, cruise won't disengage if the brake is tapped, nor if cruise is turned off.

I know I'm a luddite but isn't this what many feared in vehicles that lost the classic ignition key? a vehicle that can't be disabled if there is a software glitch?

Finally, I suspect we have evidence that "just push hard on the brake" might not work. Toyota's floormat debacle might not apply, but their throttle position sensor does. Don't forget, for most people, they are going to first push lightly, then slowly ramp up brake pressure--which may quickly overheat brakes. "People in the know" who might suspect this could jam on the brakes real fast and avoid that--but it's the general population that I'd be worried about.

Correct. The fix is actually pretty simple: Don't use cruise control until the vehicle is properly repaired. I wonder how many people are driving around that know the problem exists, and are stupid enough to use cruise control, thinking their brakes, or some other system is going to over-ride the problem? Or they don't care? Those are the people on the road I fear.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Correct. The fix is actually pretty simple: Don't use cruise control until the vehicle is properly repaired. I wonder how many people are driving around that know the problem exists, and are stupid enough to use cruise control, thinking their brakes, or some other system is going to over-ride the problem? Or they don't care? Those are the people on the road I fear.

It is surprising how many people use the cruise control now for everyday driving whether in the city or in stop and go traffic. These drivers are depending on their radar cruise to help them decrease wear on their right foot.

Yes, I’m old fashioned and I don’t use it until I am well out of the traffic.

I'm still using my cruise control. The big Brembo's on the Jeep are more than capable of stopping it if the need were to arise, and also, even Chrysler has stated that you are still able to shift the vehicle into Neutral if this happens:

Quote:
NHTSA said drivers could overpower the system by forcefully applying the brakes until the vehicle stopped. Fiat Chrysler also said the vehicle could be stopped by shifting into neutral and braking.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I'm still using my cruise control. The big Brembo's on the Jeep are more than capable of stopping it if the need were to arise, and also, even Chrysler has stated that you are still able to shift the vehicle into Neutral if this happens:

Quote:
NHTSA said drivers could overpower the system by forcefully applying the brakes until the vehicle stopped. Fiat Chrysler also said the vehicle could be stopped by shifting into neutral and braking.

You are aware of the dangers, and confident in your ability and the vehice's ability to stop. Maybe I should have worded it differently, please except my apologies. I instantly relate everything to driving in Metro NY and the early constant traffic we sit in as a result of careless drivers crashing. The Southern State Pkwy is a perfect example of where not to use that cruise control until it gets fixed, upgraded brakes and cat like reflexes won't help much on it.

I'm petty sure Fiat Chrysler is also suggesting not to use the system until it's fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back