Favorite Big Block of all time??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another vote for the 426 Max Wedge -- even though I own a 69 Camaro. Those Hemis killed on the streets & drags at all times

Bev

in 1964 Chrysler made the 426 RACE engine for NASCAR. it beat up so bad on every one that NASCAR made a NEW rule that the auto maker had to make a min of 500 engines to be stock. so for 1965 Chrysler boycotted NASCAR. and Richard Petty went drag racing. thats when Chrysler made the STREET HEMI, really a different engine, much milder, way different carbs. cause in NASCAR they had to use only one carb.

Originally Posted By: grampi
427 Chevy

Pretty sure you mean the Mark IV BBC.

UD

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: emmett442
Just so you all know, the 426 is the only "correct" answer for this topic.

That said, the 426 is my favorite.

laugh.gif

Boss 9 heads are much better than street Hemi heads.
They flow more and have a more efficient chamber.

No fair comparing aftermarket heads made in 2018 to OE heads made in 1965!

Chevy 409 for no other reason then i like the valve covers and the great Beach Boys song.
Shes so fine my 409.................................

Regardless which mill dominated what racing in what era there is no debating that the Chevy Mark IV and upward derivatives are the market leader in parts availability an affordable large displacement combos that "regular guys" can build without breaking the bank.

The BBC Owns most aftermarket %.

This is my 588 it makes 725 HP and over 800 FT LB on 91 idles at 800rpm

installed in a 2500lb. tunnel hull l its performance is breathtaking.

UD

The chevy design is the go to standard for affordable performance from mild to wild.

Originally Posted By: red7404
in 1964 Chrysler made the 426 RACE engine for NASCAR. it beat up so bad on every one that NASCAR made a NEW rule that the auto maker had to make a min of 500 engines to be stock. so for 1965 Chrysler boycotted NASCAR. and Richard Petty went drag racing. thats when Chrysler made the STREET HEMI, really a different engine, much milder, way different carbs. cause in NASCAR they had to use only one carb.

Till 68 , Then they were allowed because of Ford taking 4 of the top 5 positions at Daytona with the dual quad tunnel port.

I like a lot of them mentioned but the old Buick Nailhead dual quad has a special place for me. Not the most powerful by any stretch but a nice sound and strong puller all the way from the bottom.

eddy are you saying that NASCAR allowed duel carbs in 68? i thought the tunnel port with the push rod in the intake was a great idea. but i didnt know NASCAR allowed duel carbs.

eddy are you saying that NASCAR allowed duel carbs in 68? i thought the tunnel port with the push rod in the intake was a great idea. but i didnt know NASCAR allowed duel carbs.
They didn’t.....

I did not read the whole thread, so I don't know if it was mentioned of not, but the limited edition/production, re-issued roughly 10 or so years ago by GM Performance Parts, all alloy, port injected ZL-1 crate engine was SWEET!
cool.gif

Big Block Chevy's! Kinda sorta aftermarket, my Ram Jet 502 is just a great motor. Factory 427's in any car and 454's in any truck are tough to beat!

did you ever notes that the big block chevy has two ports on each head that turns and slams into a wall?

did you ever notes that the big block chevy has two ports on each head that turns and slams into a wall?

You must be talking about the exhaust-crossover/EGR feeds?

Nope, having the ports in pairs at the manifold face, then having properly staggered valves means that the swirl is different for the two adjacent cylinders.

s-l1000.jpg

Not really "slams", but I get the drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back