Favorite A/T Tires On An SUV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to switch from all season tires on my son's Kia AWD SUV to a A/T tire for better snow traction (Washington) yet I still want good rain traction (a must in Seattle) and good handling , quiet , comfortable ride on the high way and in the city ... Suggestions ? Kumho , Toyo and Faulkin A/T tires are on my short list .

uh let me rephrase what you said.

I want EVERYTHING.
AT + QUIET?
SNOW + RAIN traction

What tire size or make/model/year

Also what makes you think an All-terrain tire will have better traction than a more highway oriented tire?
yes maybe offroad in 12" of untouched snow it might.. but on packed down snow?

Yokohama geolandar g015 comes to mind. All-terrain, good in snow, relatively mild tread pattern (low noise for AT tire)
Cooper ATW are good in the winter.

or you could go a more car based tire with good winter traction such as the Michelin Crossclimate(2) or nokian wrg4 suv

Looking to switch from all season tires on my son's Kia AWD SUV to a A/T tire for better snow traction (Washington) yet I still want good rain traction (a must in Seattle) and good handling , quiet , comfortable ride on the high way and in the city ... Suggestions ? Kumho , Toyo and Faulkin A/T tires are on my short list .

I put the Generals RT-43s on my wifes AWD Santa Fe XL. Great in snow and rain.

Putting A/Ts on a vehicle like yours is not desirable-IMHO.

I think all terrain is an abused misnomer in most cases. They are just gnarly looking all seasons that cost more, wear worse, weigh more and run louder. More than half the tires marketed as such have no business off gravel or hard pack roads. No amount of marketing or masculine humanization will change a tires true capabilities.

The best truely *all* terrain tires I've ever owned were Nitto Trail Grapplers. Utterly un-phased by anything you put under them. Wet traction wasn't quite Corvette levels but why would I be tailgating or trying to nail the apex of an off ramp in an SUV in the rain at inappropriate speeds?

These were replaced after 45k miles by Nitto Exo Grapplers. They were aggressive looking "most-terrains". Excellent in anything but thick mud. Great on the road in all conditions.

My current truck has Nitto Grappler AT G2. These are simply mildly aggressive looking all seasons. They do alright in sand, dirt, dry grass, gravel but are utterly useless in any sort of mud. They are quiet, good on dry roads and handle well on wet roads although a little quick to break traction accelerating on newly wet roads with an empty bed. They are among the lightest "all terrain" tires I could find in my size and give me very good fuel economy compared to the noisy and sloppy BFG AT that were on it before.

Over the years I've also had:
Firestone Destination LE gen1 that were absolute garbage in every measure.
Buckshot Mudder Radials monster truck meme tires. No matter how deep you were in it, if they could turn the truck went forward. Terrible on roads.
Michelin LTX AS that were alright on road in most conditions, lasted a long time, gave good mpg but were terrible off road.

Last edited:
It sounds like OP thinks s/he needs AT tires while in reality All-Weather (for single all season set) or dedicated 2 sets (3 season all season and winter) may be better.
Beware what you wish for.
While AT tires manage to get 3MPSF emblem they do this by coincidence/accident thanks to (more) aggressive tread design.
Their ice performance often leaves a lot to be desired.

Krzys

Why not get dedicated snows?

Because unless you are doing a lot of traveling out of the wetside all you need is a good all weather tire. Lots of years Seattle (Chop) gets very little measurable snow. So far just outside Chop we haven't even had a freeze yet this year!

If there are performance winter tires in your size they may be better for dry/wet winter vs snow/ice winter.

Krzys

I think all terrain is an abused misnomer in most cases. They are just gnarly looking all seasons that cost more, wear worse, weigh more and run louder. More than half the tires marketed as such have no business off gravel or hard pack roads. No amount of marketing or masculine humanization will change a tires true capabilities.

The best truely *all* terrain tires I've ever owned were Nitto Trail Grapplers. Utterly un-phased by anything you put under them. Wet traction wasn't quite Corvette levels but why would I be tailgating or trying to nail the apex of an off ramp in an SUV in the rain at inappropriate speeds?

These were replaced after 45k miles by Nitto Exo Grapplers. They were aggressive looking "most-terrains". Excellent in anything but thick mud. Great on the road in all conditions.

My current truck has Nitto Grappler AT G2. These are simply mildly aggressive looking all seasons. They do alright in sand, dirt, dry grass, gravel but are utterly useless in any sort of mud. They are quiet, good on dry roads and handle well on wet roads although a little quick to break traction accelerating on newly wet roads with an empty bed. They are among the lightest "all terrain" tires I could find in my size and give me very good fuel economy compared to the noisy and sloppy BFG AT that were on it before.

Buckshot Mudder Radials monster truck meme tires. No matter how deep you were in it, if they could turn the truck went forward. Terrible on roads.
Michelin LTX AS that were alright on road in most conditions, lasted a long time, gave good mpg but were terrible off road.
You might find Toyo CTs slightly better in mud than the Nitto EXOs. Toyo just rolled out their AT III's. I have a set of their AT II in 285/75/18
(11.5x35). I havn't had them in snow yet, but they look like they should be ok. 235/65/17 AT IIs are on a 2014 Escape. It took some cutting and
grinding to get them to fit without rubbing.

As your probably aware-Firestone has fixed the short comings of the LE 1. They are now the LE 2

Looking at everything you want... and it appears to be everything... I'd be looking for something in the "all weather" category.

Not all terrain.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s

Great highway ride and performance. has the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol and is severe snow rated. made in usa. 65k mile tread warranty

I've had a few sets on a Jeep Grand Cherokee we have. Love them.

I put the Generals RT-43s on my wifes AWD Santa Fe XL. Great in snow and rain.

Putting A/Ts on a vehicle like yours is not desirable-IMHO.

Agreed, big difference between running all-seasons and all-terrains. I wouldn't run all-terrains on a vehicle that doesn't see any off road use.

Snow/wet traction but still performing well all around? Most AT’s are out because they have garbage siping.

I’d suggest Michelin Defender LTX MS.

AT3 4S on my Touareg and I couldn't be happier.

IMG_20200331_172109.jpg

I used pirelli scorpion verde all season plus ii tires on my 2012 Santa Fe and and was very happy with their performance year round. Winter traction was good in upstate NY for an all season tire. They were one of the best all seasons I have used in snow but they don't compare to winter tires.

They were quiet, balanced well, wore evenly, and had good road manners year round.

Also Hyundai's AWD system is junk compared to Ford, subaru, and Toyota. It was 2wd until slip was detected and it just didn't react fast enough. It was one of many factors that lead me to get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back