Father Inlaws New Chevrolet Mini-Van

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could remember the exact model but it is a rather new model and has a faux SUV X-Over appearance at first. It is modified for his wheel chair with a liftgate, missing middle row seats and a wheel chair locking device on the floor of the passenger side. It cost them $40,000 before fiananceing. It had 1500 mileson it when I first say it.It looked like a 3.5V6. I checked the oil and it was 1 quart low. The wife and I took him to another relatives house. I let her drive and I sat in back. They turned the AC on wich worked very well. The on of the rear AC vents though feel out of the head liner and hit me in the head. I put it back in wich was a simple matter of inserting and twisting.

Later that night my wife said to me that she was not impressed with the van. She compented on how cheap all of the plastics and controls felt. SHe also thought that it did not drive well either interms of engine responce, steering feel, and brakeing. She comented on how our el-cheapo bare bones $17,000 dollar Camry was much better all the way around!!! I then told her about how one of the rear ac vents feel out and hit me on the head. Now remeber that my wife has driven only Ford and GM products and John Deer farm equipment since she was 8 years old until meeting me. She was actualy operateing a combine in the field unsupervised at the age of 8 years old. SO she has been around the block a bit in terms of Detroit steel and Heavy Equipment. Here kid brother used to use a Catapillar to build his snow forts in the winter time. I saw him do this when he was 12 or 14 years old and laughed my but off.

I think I spoiled her buy letting her drive my old 4Runner for so long and then the 2001 Dakota Quad Cab. Plus Mom and Dad only own Toyota's and we always end up borrowing something of theirs so she also see's what Top of the line models are like.

I will say this all of the panels had nice fit. The paint was excellent!!! THe fit of the interior other then the AC vent falling out was tight.The AC was cooled. The vechile though felt lose and had a lot of vibration. I could feel the unibody flexing on really nicely maintained dirt roads. The dash had a lot of sqeaks and the audio system sucked!

It's hardly fair to judge a car modified in such a manner (I can't imagine a wheelchair lift adding any less than a couple hundred pounds) as being representative of all it's brethren. My wife and I have an unmodified Buick Terraza 3.5L. I've noticed no problems with chassis flex or rattles and the handling and braking are very good for a minivan. In fact it was at least on par with every other minivan my wife and I tested in those regards. In terms of power, the 3.5L isn't quite as peppy as some other makes, but it moves our vehicle quite sufficiently.

BTW, my comments come from someone who's driven a wide variety of vehicles, including Mercedes S and M class and BMW 5 series with some of the stiffest chassis I've ever driven.

It was probably a Chevy Uplander, the successor of the Venture. I use Ventures and Montanas for my taxi fleet and they've treated me well. I test drove a new SV6 and was not impressed at all. Worse MPG, smaller seats and the new front end design makes you feel like your driving a 4x4 truck. I'll be looking to other makes/models when the supply of good used Montanas runs out.

John, a wheelchair conversion adds lots of weight to a vehicle. It changes suspension and chassis dynamics in a big way.

My brother- and sister-in-law have a Saturn Relay, the sister model to the one above. They've had it since March, and I believe it's been in the shop 6 times. Forbes had it and it's three sister (Pontiac, Buick, and Chevy) listed as the least reliable car this year. I've always driven GM, and really love my Chevy Silverado, but this car is junk. I think many of the American cars are as good or better than their foreign counterparts (and don't get credit for it), but this one obviously isn't. It's sad, and I certainly see why they're losing market share.

http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2006/07/17/poorly-rated-vehicles_cx_dl_0718featA_ls.html

IMO- interiors have never been one of GM's strong points. The interior fit/finish/quality of my 2005 trailblazer LS is absolutely horrible, where my BIL's malibu maxx and parents buick rendezvous is okay. IMO- ford has it all over GM in terms of current interiors. Interiors aside- I still like GM chassis & drivetrains better than other domestics. Would be nice to get the 'whole' package from them.

Joel

It really is a total embarssment that GM can even come to market with a vehicle with this level of quality. It sounds like the stereotype fits GM completely. My last gm (06 Vue) I bought because the interior was pretty good, good gas mileage, polymer and the vehicle has a Honda drive train. Now Saturn is dropping the Honda drivetrain and all polymer on all vehicles.

I've had GM's my entire life and won't purchase another. I don't care how much their quality goes up... I've spent so much money and been screwed over by them and gm customer service too many times.

You are supposed to buy Ford or GM to support the economy. Mexico agrees, too. If you buy a foreign brand like Chrysler, Mexico still agrees. Don't buy Toyota because you're supporting Japan, even though Toyota is building plants, here, almost as fast as GM and Ford are closing them. Or support a frog, and buy a Nissan. And what's with the Korean cars. How Korean can they be if they are going to build them here? If all else fails, you could just pick the car you like the best. Next question, how do you figure that one out.

LarryL

Member # 5056

posted 26 August, 2006 21:29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are supposed to buy Ford or GM to support the economy. Mexico agrees, too. If you buy a foreign brand like Chrysler, Mexico still agrees. Don't buy Toyota because you're supporting Japan, even though Toyota is building plants, here, almost as fast as GM and Ford are closing them. Or support a frog, and buy a Nissan. And what's with the Korean cars. How Korean can they be if they are going to build them here? If all else fails, you could just pick the car you like the best. Next question, how do you figure that one out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 1844 | From: Vista, CA | Registered: Sep 2004 | IP: Logged |

Not to defend anyone. But the reason why Toyota builds their cars here is that its cheaper to produce the car here. Rather than build in Japan pay for shipping, tariff's, then transport them from the coast to where ever. I foresee in the not so distant future that Toyota, Nissan, and Honda moving their plants to Mexico. Money talks.

Yes, It is an uplander thank you!!! I could not remember the name to save my life. I apologise it is not a wheel chair life so much as it is a motorized ramp and it is very light weight compared to what I have seen in years past.He drives his chair up it and into the passenger cavity. It can not weight much more then the same amount as the seats it replaces and 1 large adult male. I actualy thought I might break it as I steped out of the van behind him. I did not drive the van I was a passenger so I am reporting what my wife told me.

My point though is that for $40,000 dollars it should not have any of the problems I reported. Even at $20,000 dollars it should be better. I also said some good things about the vechile. As a former Mechanic and Automotive Quality Analyst I was not impressed.

dave1251, In my Motortrend magazine their is an acrticle on Mustangs. They are following a writers custom ordered Mustang through production from start to finish. In the pictures on thing stood out to me!!! All of the Robots working on the Mustang at the Fords plant said "Kawasaki" on them. I love of Ford is buying American and supporting our country!!! How about all those UAW member that own Kabota tractors???Guess they only buy American if it helps them keep their job the heck with John Deere workers!!!

Dave, if Toyota can build cars here why can't Ford and GM? I know that Ford and GM's main business is running a retirement home, but they cheated. They already had the plants here and they speak English. If Japan gripes about Korea and we gripe about Mexico, what are the Koreans and Mexicans going to say about China. The third world war is going to be fought over oil and it's comming because of all this stuff. But at least we have one comforting thought. The forth world war is going to be faught with stick and stones over rice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back