Fatal stand-off at local Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/2015/03/28/police-surround-walmart-in-peterborough

Quote:
PETERBOROUGH, Ont. — A police standoff outside a Walmart in Peterborough came to a bloody end Saturday night.

A man is dead and the Special Investigations Unit, Ontario’s police watchdog group, has been called in to investigate.

People on the scene report the man died from a a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

More than 300 shoppers and staff were allowed to leave a Peterborough Walmart at about 8 p.m. Saturday after an hours-long armed standoff.

Still, police remain on the scene, with no arrests made.

One couple coming out of the store said they’d spent three hours inside under police watch.

"There's no information being circulated around, which I understand, but at the same time, there's pregnant women and kids screaming and crying," Ron, who gave only his first name, said.

"Some people need to eat. I heard several people complain about being diabetic and whatnot. It was totally chaotic."

People were led out of the Walmart via a rear door and onto buses as police continued to deal with a crisis in the parking lot in front of the store.

A source at the scene says a shot may have been fired at the Walmart late this afternoon, bringing the police emergency response team to the scene.

Police said a person in a vehicle was holding police at a standoff, and officers were attempting to make contact.

"From what we heard, it was a suicidal person sitting in their vehicle," a woman who didn't give her name said. "So people were stuck sitting in their cars. It was kind of nerve-wracking."

A source at the scene told QMI Agency she had heard what may have been a shot.

The SIU is called in to investigate whenever a person dies during an incident that requires police involvement.

This happened as I was taking the kids out for dinner tonight. Crazy!!!

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I didn't think things like that happened up there.

Oh yeah, they do. Many like to pretend they don't though
smirk.gif

I'm curious to see if the gun used for the suicide was legally owned/obtained or if it was stolen.

Usually they are illegal, which negates the whole "gun control" argument many like to toss out regarding firearms related deaths in this country.

Yeah, there is gun violence in Canada (and everywhere really). The difference is how often it happens per capita. Pretty sure Canada is MUCH better than the US in that regard.

Not entirely related, but this is my favorite data point on this score: Philadelphia vs. Toronto in 2011. Toronto's population was ~2.6 mil; Philly's was ~1.5 mil. IIRC, the number of shootings (fatal or not) in Toronto for the whole year was comparable to the number of shooting deaths for any given MONTH in Philadelphia.

Weird things happen when you keep a reasonable socioeconomic floor under the population. Violent crime isn't as much of a thing as it would be otherwise, for example. :p

Locally, we have far more stabbings than gun related incidents. Though we have had a few of the latter (in a town of roughly 80,000 people) with illegally obtained hand guns. These are usually gang violence occurrences.

You're only 30min from Mosport. I'm very jealous.

Correct
grin.gif

Was it some guy trying to return defective motor oil?

Well played sir!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Yeah, there is gun violence in Canada (and everywhere really). The difference is how often it happens per capita. Pretty sure Canada is MUCH better than the US in that regard.

Last time I saw a serious study, the two were pretty similar once you accounted for socioeconomic factors. Most of the 'gun violence' in America happens in the decayed inner city areas, which don't exist to the same extent in Canada.

Originally Posted By: emg
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Last time I saw a serious study, the two were pretty similar once you accounted for socioeconomic factors. Most of the 'gun violence' in America happens in the decayed inner city areas, which don't exist to the same extent in Canada.

That's exactly my point at the end of the post you're quoting from. The reason Canada has less crime per capita is that Canada does better with the socioeconomic factors.

Died from a self inflicted gunshot but the media feels the need to report "no arrests have been made"? If the gunman offed himself during a stand off with police, I'm trying to understand who the geniuses in the media think should be arrested? And the SIU being called in that "polices the police", so the SIU is going to go head hunting among the officers because someone didn't use the proper quantity of Butterfly Kisses to coax the armed whacko into handing over his gun instead of blowing his own brains out with it? Just. Wow. Next headline? "RCMP Constables disciplined for not preventing gunman from shooting himself" ???

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Died from a self inflicted gunshot but the media feels the need to report "no arrests have been made"? If the gunman offed himself during a stand off with police, I'm trying to understand who the geniuses in the media think should be arrested? And the SIU being called in that "polices the police", so the SIU is going to go head hunting among the officers because someone didn't use the proper quantity of Butterfly Kisses to coax the armed whacko into handing over his gun instead of blowing his own brains out with it? Just. Wow. Next headline? "RCMP Constables disciplined for not preventing gunman from shooting himself" ???

It won't be RCMP, it would likely be the Peterborough police or OPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back