Fascinating study on Ravenol 0w16 vs 5w30 in fleet of similar autos

With all of the talk about 0w20 vs 5w30, I found this particular study very interesting. I recently came across Ravenol DXG 5w30 for my Enclave V6 GDI engine, (which looks very interesting with Group V PAO, 6.0 Noack, and 256°C flash point.) Admittedly I'm a little on the fence with the 0w20 that GM calls for their V8 trucks, especially when in the instance of my 6.2L V8 L86 calling for 0w20, which is essentially same long block used in the C7 Corvette (LT1) which until recently, has called for 5w30 for years but is now saying that 0w40 is what you need to use going forward. Needless to say, I'm interested in Ravenol and trying to get their 0w20 DFE with DEXOS1 Gen2 rating over here in the US (for all the GM trucks!)

In this study, they used an identical fleet of six 2015 Toyota Aygo commercial vehicles (1.0L engines) used for in-home nursing services, Ravenol ran half the cars with their new Ravenol EFE 0w16 and the other half with ACEA C3 5w30 oil. The drivers all changed vehicles and never knew which one was which. They ran 5,000km OCI's.

The Ravenol 0w16 viscosity remained virtually unchanged over this period and retained its TBN much greater than the 5w30. With an average decrease in fuel consumption of about half a liter per 100km, meaning that essentially the vehicles could drive about 53km more on a single tank of fuel. Long story short is, apparently, the 0w16 provided better wear and fuel mileage than the 5w30.

Ravenol EFE 0w16 vs 5w30

Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

Capture wear beaings cam.JPG

I suspect that it's because they use high quality basestocks and a great additive package and the oil is built for performance not price point. The sky is the limit with premium oils when they aren't confined by bean counters.

This is also great to show that 16wt oil can have better wear than 30wt oil based on what oil you choose even though the HTHS would be lower for the 16wt over the 30wt. Paging all the "Thicker is better" folks.

Thanks for posting.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
It begs the question: Why didn't they compare it to their own 5W30?

Now that is a good question!

Originally Posted by BobsArmory

Now that is a good question!

Because they might already know the answer.........LOL

So a premium PAO-based synthetic 0w-16 did better than a generic 5w-30 in many key performance areas including relative to the performance limits of API SN? Colour me shocked
smirk.gif

ACEA C3 is the thick stuff HTHS over 3.5 (like A3/B4)

Ravenol is very expensive. Do you think Amalie 0w16 (supplier to CQ/AAP) will be just as good? Will Valvoline 0w16 hold up as well?

01.gif

Agreed. Meaningless study since there are so many independent variables. If their point was to convince me that lower viscosity correlates to superior wear protection, they have failed. Almost nothing is indicated regarding the basestock, anti-wear additives, or detergents of the competing 5W-30.

What does the BITOG hive generally think of Ravenol? I noticed it has Chrysler MS6395 approval, so it might be fun to do a run with their 0w20 in my Jeep and then a UOA.

I've had a couple good runs with Mobil 1 AP and have some PUP waiting in the wings. (Yes, I know M1 isn't 6395 approved, but it doesn't matter. My dealer uses M1 oils. I only look for it in the Ravenol to see if it meets any US specs because I know little about it.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
So a premium PAO-based synthetic 0w-16 did better than a generic 5w-30 in many key performance areas including relative to the performance limits of API SN? Colour me shocked
smirk.gif

Yea, shocked!! LOL Cherry picking for results at its best, no surprise, but there are some people that will believe.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Wonder how it would do in my DI fuel diluter?

I wouldn't try it.

smirk.gif

Yea, shocked!! LOL Cherry picking for results at its best, no surprise, but there are some people that will believe.

It's a 5w30 C3 (HTHS 3.5) oil their comparing it to. Not a run of the mill SN.

Still....

They should also compare it to their own very high quality 5w30... With the Dexos gen 2 approval... That would be more telling.

I think it's a interesting study and it does show that a good 0w16 will hold up. My nitpick is the oci schedule they used. 5000 kilometers is very short for any oil and especially a premium based oil like Ravenol.

I would have no problems running that if my car called for it.

Originally Posted by wemay
smirk.gif

It's a 5w30 C3 (HTHS 3.5) oil their comparing it to. Not a run of the mill SN.

There 5W30 is not a run of the mill oil either.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Still....

They should also compare it to their own very high quality 5w30... With the Dexos gen 2 approval... That would be more telling.

Exactly.

Back