FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done a recent VOA on the current formulation of GC (not the Green). I searched a bit but didn't see one. If nothing recent, I may send a sample to Blackstone when I do my next oil change.

If any known links on this or other sites, please post here if you are so inclined. Thanks.

VOA done at Blackstone on 5-7-08 on Castrol 0w-30, the GC. Bottle indicated it was mfrd sometime in '07, if I interpret the date code right.

Iron 1 ppm
Silicon 6 ppm
Sodium 6 ppm
calcium 1957 ppm
magnesium 618 ppm
phosphorous 933 ppm
zinc 1160 ppm

SUS vis at 210 F 66.3
cSt vis at 100 C 11.97
flashpoint F 455

All other elements/properties were null or zero.

Blackstone comments: Nothing wrong with this oil and it has a strong viscosity for an 0w-30. This 66.3 SUS when checked @ 210 F is in the range we often find for 10w-40s. No significant metals were present and the oil was found to be clean and dry.

Thanks so much m6pwr.
34.gif

Hi,
tilley - OT M1 5W-50 is a good choice for the 911. It is a very populat lubricant here in OZ. Kevin from "Turboflatsix" (also posts on Rennlist)actually gets his 5W-50 from Canada and uses it in all his twin turbo rebuilds and race engines along with M1 15W-50 in some applications

I believe he uses Delvac 5W-40 (as M1 TDT 5W-40)in many engines too

This is my third Porsche on Delvac 1 5W-40 and about 140k kms all up over the three

Last edited:
Can anyone find the old link to the green GC "super analysis" that Terry did? I can't find it and wanted to show it to someone.

19.gif

-Dennis

Just read that thread - interesting stuff and fun to watch everyone come together for the test - this raises a question in my mind however:

My dad is about to retire as a manager of a large laboratory here in Houston. They have almost every kind of lab equipment you could name. I know GC Mass Spec. would be no problem as they have a few machines, but I'm not sure about the NMR, I'd have to ask. Is there a chemist here who could tell me how much it would cost in materials to run this test. Labor would be no problem as I know a few guys up there who are qualified to run the GC. I know they can test down to the ppb (parts per billion) level for some things... This may be prohibitively expensive. I can get the results for sure, and I know there's some folks on here that could read them. Just thinking out loud. My background is in English and computers, so all I know about lab testing is what I've heard over the dinner table growing up.

What's the deal with the elves?
Shhh, don't get involved. They'll pull you back in if you try to get out.

Sadly the Elves have left the elixer brewing business having gotten caught up in the soccer make that football madness during the 2006 World Cup--properly "Weltmeisterschaft". They are now making football jerseys in Moenchengladbach (you all DO know about Moenchengladbach, right?) and while they wish everyone at BITOG well, I am afraid they have no interest in reentering the oil business.

Der Elfmeister

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pscholte
I will accept between Schwelmtal and Dusseldorf, but it is obvious you are in the right place.
cheers3.gif

You bet. When I visited Germany, I went to Aachen, Dusseldorf, Koln, Stuttgart, Munich..

Thoroughly enjoyed Eisbein, Blutwurst, (in Northern Germany) and Sour Lung Soup in Munich...

Of course, I digress....

Originally Posted By: momomeister
Thoroughly enjoyed Eisbein, Blutwurst, (in Northern Germany) and Sour Lung Soup in Munich...

I'm German, but I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Originally Posted By: moribundman

I'm German, but I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

The family friends who took me to the old pub and the 2 couples who also sat at the table were in absolute amazement (maybe it was shock) when they saw the Eisbein, but it sure tasted awesome.

Nothing wrong with the blutwurst. It was grilled and was served with sourkraut and mash.

The Sour Lung Soup was a bit vinegary. My girlfriend (now my wife) said that it made her want to vomit.. But it wasn't bad at all!

Last edited:
Whoa! I never knew a geography test RE: Mönchengladbach could turn into a stomach churning affair. All the same, the more's the merrier I say. Although I will stick to Rahmschnitzel, Jägerschnitzel, türingerwurst...you know the tamer stuff...
wink.gif

PS For those of you that wonder what this has to do with oil, have you ever bitten into a türingerwurst?

Last edited:
PS For those of you that wonder what this has to do with oil, have you ever bitten into a türingerwurst?

They must cook it in GC! :)

Whoa! I never knew a geography test RE: Mönchengladbach could turn into a stomach churning affair. All the same, the more's the merrier I say. Although I will stick to Rahmschnitzel, Jägerschnitzel, türingerwurst...you know the tamer stuff...
wink.gif

Sorry to turn some stomachs!!!

One thing that I didn't have a chance to try was schweinshaxe. Very similar to Eisbein but grilled.. Sure it would be good too! Also, tried pork tartar! Wow, tastes far better than steak tartar..

However, one thing I didn't like was a spread on bread, made with solidified goose fat (collected from cooking goose) and flavored with various herbs.. Just didn't care for it...

However, one thing I didn't like was a spread on bread, made with solidified goose fat (collected from cooking goose) and flavored with various herbs.. Just didn't care for it...

... or the ensuing heart attack! May want to send some to Blackstone for a UOA.
37.gif

I have a question. I just purchased my first quart of GC from my local autozone in California. It says M08 at the bottom so I guess thats suppose to mean its made in 2008. But its green? From what i read the new GC is suppose to be now a gold color? Maybe they have gone back to the green?

??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back