FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pikes Peak is an amazing dose of reality for a street car or a race car. Everything is different up that high. Its interesting that your car heated up a bit. VW sells a lot of cars in high temp climates,surprised it got warm. Well,thats the point,I guess.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Giorgiz
I would like to know in Europe it is called what you call GC? I would like to try it in my MB 230 Kompressor

Giorgiz,

In Europe, there is a product called Castrol Edge Professional A3 0w-30. The specs are identical to GC, so there is a good chance it's the same product...

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...-8HMJJJ%5F0.pdf

FWIW, these current products available in Europe seem to be A5/B5

Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A5/B5

Castrol Edge Professional A5 0W-30

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
It meets the latest Mercedes specs. The API specs don't matter for you.

Exactly. API specs are irrelevant in this application.

Originally Posted By: Finn
Originally Posted By: Giorgiz
I would like to know in Europe it is called what you call GC? I would like to try it in my MB 230 Kompressor

Giorgiz,

In Europe, there is a product called Castrol Edge Professional A3 0w-30. The specs are identical to GC, so there is a good chance it's the same product...

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...-8HMJJJ%5F0.pdf

FWIW, these current products available in Europe seem to be A5/B5

Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A5/B5

Castrol Edge Professional A5 0W-30

OK, but the products you posted are A5/B5 rated, which means low HT/HS. GC is a high HT/HS oil - completely different animal.

So many products, so little time.
blush.gif
I thought the earlier versions were replaced with A5/B5 stuff but they all seem to be available.

Found the same you listed earlier ie. Castrol Edge Professional A3 0W-30 which is
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
API SL/CF
BMW Longlife 01
MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5
VW 502 00/ 505 00

So this is more or less "current" GC?

Originally Posted By: Paws
Pikes Peak is an amazing dose of reality for a street car or a race car. Everything is different up that high. Its interesting that your car heated up a bit. VW sells a lot of cars in high temp climates,surprised it got warm. Well,thats the point,I guess.

Sorry for late reply.
It is not heat, it is altitude.
On 10,000ft and up, because of thin air, radiator cannot transfer heat that fast like in lower altitude. Also, do not forget, boiling point, regardless that system is under pressure, is lower on that altitude.
On 6,000ft boiling point of water is 93c, while on 0ft is 100c. So go figure conditions on 10-14,000ft.
Outside temperature does not have to do with this particular case anything. It was actually 42f.
However, once you crank up heating and fan to the max, temperature goes back to normal.

i consider castrol a "lo life" corporation as they are the ones clouding the definition of synthetic oil in USA so they could sell inferior products at higher prices, other companies like mobil reformulated to a lower quality oil after the law change, i but NOTHING Castrol!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
i consider castrol a "lo life" corporation as they are the ones clouding the definition of synthetic oil in USA so they could sell inferior products at higher prices, other companies like mobil reformulated to a lower quality oil after the law change, i but NOTHING Castrol!!!
since when is base oil a measure of oil performance?

My local Autozone has German Castrol Edge with SPT 0w-30 "Made in Germany" on the back API SL rated in a black bottle on sale, can't find an "M" code, I see 01/06 on the bottom of the bottle and something like LBL 0624400A on the front lower left on the front $3 off, brings it to $6/quart.

Anyone advise if this is a decent price? Can't locate recent prices in the forum, searched this thread but couldn't see anything recent.

Also planning on winter runs in a 2010 Subie Forester 2.5L NA with PZEV system. I'm not consuming oil, assumption an SL oil would be fine on the emissions. Any thoughts from the experts?

There was 4-5 bottles left after I bought 5. Worth going back and buying the remainder for another 6 month winter run in a future year? Or should I just rely on a "modern" 0w-30 synthetic (like Mobile 1 AFE) for my winters?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nepadriver
My local Autozone has German Castrol Edge with SPT 0w-30 "Made in Germany" on the back API SL rated in a black bottle on sale, can't find an "M" code, I see 01/06 on the bottom of the bottle and something like LBL 0624400A on the front lower left on the front $3 off, brings it to $6/quart.

Anyone advise if this is a decent price? Can't locate recent prices in the forum, searched this thread but couldn't see anything recent.

Also planning on winter runs in a 2010 Subie Forester 2.5L NA with PZEV system. I'm not consuming oil, assumption an SL oil would be fine on the emissions. Any thoughts from the experts?

There was 4-5 bottles left after I bought 5. Worth going back and buying the remainder for another 6 month winter run in a future year? Or should I just rely on a "modern" 0w-30 synthetic (like Mobile 1 AFE) for my winters?

I just bought 16 quarts of 0W-30 for $3/quart from one of my local AZ. Also, AZ and AAP have Castrol Edge 5 quart oil specials every other month or so (lately) for $30-32, so I would say you paid too much.

My AAP nor AZ carry German Castrol "Made in Germany" in 5qt jugs unfortunately. Perhaps I'll hold out and see if they drop the remainder singles to $3/quart, thnx!

My AAP nor AZ carry German Castrol "Made in Germany" in 5qt jugs unfortunately. Perhaps I'll hold out and see if they drop the remainder singles to $3/quart, thnx!

Their oil change specials cover both individual quarts or 5 quart jugs, so they will work fine for five individual quarts of 0W-30 GC (with oil filter, it is around $4-5/quart).

You think you can get a Group IV/V oil that cheap, ha?
smile.gif

No, it's not Group IV/V. It's a Group III (synthetic-hydrocarbon, synthetic dino if you like] oil, like the majority of Castrol Edge made or sold in Germany. It doesn't have the word synthetic in the German version of its datasheet.

See the US version of its datasheet here. Note that the specs are identical.

The Group IV/V Castrol is a different formulation. I will post it below.

These are the Castrol Edge products sold in Germany, Group III or Group IV/V info is what I gathered from the datasheets:

Produktname Code Land Sprache Datum Typ

Fully synthetic (Group IV/V)
(These oils explicitly mention "vollsynthetisches" [fully synthetic] or "synthetisches" [synthetic] but not "HC-synthese" [synthetic hydrocarbon {Group III}] in their datasheets.)

Castrol EDGE 0W-30 463737 Germany German 26 Jan 2012 PI
Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 467465 Germany German 11 Sep 2013 PI
Castrol EDGE 10W-60 463738 Germany German 27 Feb 2012 PI
Castrol EDGE Turbo Diesel 0W-30 463748 Germany German 23 Jun 2006 PI
Castrol EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40 463745 Germany German 19 Mar 2012 PI

Synthetic hydrocarbon (SHC = Group III)
(These oils do not explicitly mention "vollsynthetisches" [fully synthetic] or "synthetisches" [synthetic] or they mention "HC-synthese" [synthetic hydrocarbon {Group III}] in their datasheets.)

Castrol EDGE 5W-30 463740 Germany German 19 Apr 2011 PI
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 463740 Germany German 27 Sep 2013 PI
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 465007 Germany German Castrol/Consumer 13 Jul 2006 PI
Castrol EDGE 5W-40 463878 Germany German 31 Jan 2013 PI
Castrol EDGE Formula RS 0W-40 465083 Germany German 04 Aug 2006 PI
Castrol EDGE Longlife II 0W-30 467282 Germany German 19 May 2011 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional A1 5W-20 467327 Germany German 19 May 2011 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-30 467330 Germany German 19 May 2011 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-40 467337 Germany German 29 Feb 2012 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional A5 0W-30 467338 Germany German 13 Feb 2013 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional A5 5W-30 467339 Germany German 27 Sep 2013 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional BMW LL04 0W-30 467340 Germany German 19 May 2011 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional C1 5W-30 467357 Germany German 19 May 2011 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional C3 0W-30 467342 Germany German 20 Jan 2012 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional C4 5W-30 467358 Germany German 19 May 2011 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional E 0W-20 468056 Germany German 29 Jul 2013 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional H 0W-20 468210 Germany German 02 Jan 2014 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional H 5W-30 468213 Germany German 05 Jun 2013 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional H C2 0W-30 468230 Germany German 04 Jun 2013 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional LongLife III 5W-30 467369 Germany German 07 Nov 2011 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional OE 5W-30 467370 Germany German 31 Jul 2013 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional TWS 10W-60 467449 Germany German 06 Dec 2011 PI
Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20 468317 Germany German 08 Nov 2013 PI

Given the Castrol's infamously inaccurate datasheets, it's hard to make too much out of these. However, it looks like even in Germany the Group IV/V oils are becoming extinct in favor of the far cheaper Group III. So, chances are the "German Castrol" you are getting is a Group III oil. It's probably only Group IV/V if it has a German label and it explicitly says "vollsynthetisches" (fully synthetic) or "synthetisches" (synthetic) but not "HC-synthese" (synthetic-hydrocarbon [SHC] = Group III).

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
No, it's not Group IV/V. It's a Group III (synthetic-hydrocarbon, synthetic dino if you like] oil, like the majority of Castrol Edge made or sold in Germany. It doesn't have the word synthetic in the German version of its datasheet.

Sure it does. It says right in the first paragraph of that document.

"Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-3 ist ein vollsynthetisches Motorenöl"

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Sure it does. It says right in the first paragraph of that document.

"Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-3 ist ein vollsynthetisches Motorenöl"

Ah, I missed that! OK, I will update the list.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back