FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
I dont think I see the NOACK/volatility # for GC in this thread? What is it?

A mystery.

Cant we narrow it down given that GC meets MB’s 229.5 spec?

And I believe the NOACK spec for MB’s 229.5 spec is...10%?

So GC's NOACK is at most 10%?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jesbo
Didn't realize there ever was/is a 0W30 USA Made Syntec. I've never seen it. I'll keep my eye open.

I have seen us-made and german-made side by side on auto zone shelves. The german made ones said "european formula" on the front and us made did not. Of course looking on the back for the "made in germany" is the only sure way to tell.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Didn't realize there ever was/is a 0W30 USA Made Syntec. I've never seen it. I'll keep my eye open.

I have seen us-made and german-made side by side on auto zone shelves. The german made ones said "european formula" on the front and us made did not. Of course looking on the back for the "made in germany" is the only sure way to tell.

Thanks.. I've seen plenty of the US-made product, but its always been in the 5W30 and 10W30 grades. Never 0W30. The only 0W30 I've ever found was Euro Formula and said "Made in Germany" on the back.

Hey guys, I used to be a big GC 0w-30 user (did a VOA on it back SEVERAL years ago) and used it in my saturn.

Im going back to changing my own oil and has assumed that GC was not out anymore, but here I was wrong.

So it can still be found at autozone?

Im thinking my 2.4l toyo and hyundai motors would have no problem with it, and man was it a good oil.

Originally Posted By: elwaylite
...Im going back to changing my own oil and has assumed that GC was not out anymore, but here I was wrong.

So it can still be found at autozone?...

Yes, AZ still sells GC.

Originally Posted By: elwaylite
Cool, thanks.

I guess my only concern is it too thick for the 5w-20 (CAFE) warranty cars I have.

You would possibly see a slight fuel mileage decrease going from 5w20 to GC, but it probably wouldn't be too bad, IMO.

I purchased one bottle of green GC and several of gold GC today August 24,2009. The gold did not have "made in Germany" on the back of the bottle. Only "European Formula" on the front of the bottle. I assume this is the good gold stuf. Also they did have several pre-german old date M 01 bottles. I guess anyone who knows about GC also knows not to purchase anything from M 02 unless it says "made in Germany" and is green, or anything before M 02. I wonder how many times those old bottles have been pick up, looked at, and put back?

Anyhow, could someone varify that "European Formula" on the front is still the good stuf?

Also, if you think about it, if it does not say "made in Germany" anywhere, it could be made some place else.

JimPghPa

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
The gold did not have "made in Germany" on the back of the bottle. Only "European Formula" on the front of the bottle.

Can you post a picture of the back of the bottle?

What was the date code/batch number?

Normally, if it doesn't specifically say "Made in Germany", it is not GC.

Sorry to bother you about the question about the GC, I looked again (got out the magnifing glass, not kidding) and it does say "MADE IN GERMANY" in very fine print. It is below the line that says SL,SJ,CF . It is the second line above the bar code.

The one bottle of green GC had "MADE IN GERMANY" in much larger print. I guess my eyes are not what they use to be.

JimPghPa

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Sorry to bother you about the question about the GC, I looked again (got out the magnifing glass, not kidding) and it does say "MADE IN GERMANY" in very fine print. It is below the line that says SL,SJ,CF . It is the second line above the bar code.

The one bottle of green GC had "MADE IN GERMANY" in much larger print. I guess my eyes are not what they use to be.

JimPghPa

Your eye`s are fine,their just making the print smaller now,for what ever reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: saaber1

Thanks.. I've seen plenty of the US-made product, but its always been in the 5W30 and 10W30 grades. Never 0W30. The only 0W30 I've ever found was Euro Formula and said "Made in Germany" on the back.

You're unlikely to see it any more. It was last made in 2001 or early 2002. When I started hoarding green GC back in 2004, there were still fair amounts of the US made 0w-30 Syntec out there, and you had to be careful not to inadvertently snag a dusty bottle of the old stuff. I don't peruse the stock like I did back then, but I'm sure that there are still a few qts lurking out there. I haven't seen any myself in years.

Here is the PDS for GC 0W-30 from the Canada site:

CASTROL Syntec 0W-30
TYPICAL PROPERTIES
API Service SL/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4
Volkswagon 502.00/505.00
Specific Gravity, 60°F ASTM D-1298 0.847
Pounds per Gallon 7.05
Viscosity, cSt 100°C ASTM D-445 12.1
Low Temperature (ºC) Cranking
Viscosity, cP max
ASTM D-5293 6200 (-35)
Low Temperature (ºC) Pumping
Viscosity, cP max
ASTM D-4684 60,000 (-40)
High Temperature High Shear Rate
Viscosity, cP min @ 150° C
CEC L-36-A-87 2.9
Flash Point, COC, °F (°C) min ASTM D-92 437(225)
Fire Point, COC, °F (°C) min ASTM D-92 450(232)
Calcium % wt ASTM D-4951 0.35
Zinc % wt ASTM D-4951 0.11
Phosphorus % wt ASTM D-4951 0.10

Quick question. I know GC 0W-30 is close to a 40W but I would like to go with a 50W however I can only find it in the US Castrol (5W-50). Are there any comparisons of the US vs. GC? basically is the 0W-30 that much better than the 5W-50?

Hi, I saw old Green GC bottles on the rack at a local Autozone but did not want to buy them, they looked older and I did not know the green oil was better.Should I go get them? Are they worth my time driving there again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back