Fan clutches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on #2 SKP fan clutch on the Dakota and not sure what's the next step. With the factory clutch it never ran no matter what the temp, which was overheating. The first SKP ran all the time, this 2nd one seems ok as long as the AC isn't on. This model has the electric fan which I think only kicks on with the AC. That fan blowing on this fan clutch might be keeping it locked up all the time? But with the AC off seems to work normal, wrong design? They only offer one part #.

After driving 3hrs at 75mph have to get it fixed one way or the other. I put a Hayden on the RV and it works great but no electric fan (yet). I will say at least isn't overheating and the AC works great now. I don't have the packaging so will get dinged by Rockauto so I'm debating three options... Return the 2nd SKP and get a Hayden, either grab a few clutches from junkers at PNP or just go the electric fan route. I don't drive the truck on the highway alot but when I do it's a 3hr roundtrip.

Which engine?

Friend of mine had a Jeep with the 2.5 (also available in Dakotas) and had to run the wrong fan clutch on it , because all of the ones he had for it were always engaged.

I think adjustable " thermostats " are available to monitor coolant temperature . These can be used to cycle an electric fan .

If you install an electric fan , make sure it is " facing " the correct direction .

Is your coolant thermostat OK ?

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted by Miller88
Which engine?

Friend of mine had a Jeep with the 2.5 (also available in Dakotas) and had to run the wrong fan clutch on it , because all of the ones he had for it were always engaged.

3.9L.. Would you know which fan clutch for friend used? It does specify the same fan clutch across the all the engines.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I think adjustable " thermostats " are available to monitor coolant temperature . These can be used to cycle an electric fan .

If you install an electric fan , make sure it is " facing " the correct direction .

Is your coolant thermostat OK ?

Best of luck to you , :)

Good question on the thermostat. Some thought it might have a lazy thermostat but the temp stays the same with the new clutch, but it does run all the time. Might just replace it just because this truck is 20 years old. Others have said they removed the mechanical fan on the models with that electric fan and no overheating issues.

A Jeep Cherokee (XJ regular cherokee , NOT Grand zj style) 4.0L fan clutch. It's made for a smaller fan but actually worked on the 2.5L in the Cherokee.

We run stationary equipment which requires a centrifugally operated fan clutch rather than a t'stat style.

Brand is so critical we only purchase them through our Factory Authorized Upfitter.

I have found good ones in the aftermarket long ago so I am not familiar with today's market. Good luck...

Put 180 thermostat in last week and don't think the fan clutch was the problem after all. It's been cooler lately but now the temp gauge stays steady. Maybe it was sticking open which would make sense if the radiator never got a chance to cool off. A regular stat would been ok looks like but 3.9 seems to like the cooler temps.

Now I'm wondering if a 180 degree would help the Chevy 6.0. Throwing one in next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back