Benefits of a Flex Fan vs Thermo Clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my story. I had a 74 Torino with a flex fan. The blades fatigued and broke off, damaging the radiator.

Ford had a well-publicized recall on flex fans at the time. They were breaking off and injuring mechanics. So I skipped over to the dealer, fully expecting recall work done on my Torino. They told me my car didn't qualify because it didn't have a big enough engine. The recall was limited to the 400 engines. I had a 351W. How infuriating!!!... Wat does engine size have to do with fan rpm and the fan breaking apart???

It dawned on me that the NHTSA doesn't have the driving public's best interests in mind. Apparently, they compromised with Ford and let Ford talk them into only recalling cars with big block engines, leaving the rest of us out in the cold. I wrote NHTSA and told them my story, saying I was working on my car and that the blade narrowly missed me. Nothing came of it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: pzev
Aren't there trucks coming with electric fans now? Some electric fans can really move some air, and you can always use more than one...assuming they would fit.

The Mark VIII fan is probably the most insane air mover of them all.

I would just assume the reason most OEM's didn't used them was for some sort of reliability thing.....

Of course I've never had an issue with either of mine....

Most likely cost....I believe they are more expensive. I would trust an electric motor over a fan clutch any day of the week lol.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Aren't there trucks coming with electric fans now? Some electric fans can really move some air, and you can always use more than one...assuming they would fit.

The Mark VIII fan is probably the most insane air mover of them all.

I would just assume the reason most OEM's didn't used them was for some sort of reliability thing.....

Of course I've never had an issue with either of mine....

Most likely cost....I believe they are more expensive. I would trust an electric motor over a fan clutch any day of the week lol.

You are probably correct.

The Mustang has had an electric fan since 1994. My '02 Expedition still has a clutch fan. Go figure
wink.gif
And I know the Mark VIII fan would be MORE than up to the task of cooling the Expediton; the amount of air it moves is OBSCENE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back