Failed WIX 57356

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did an oil change today, about a month and a half early.

I had squeeking breaks so I got all the stuff together to change the oil when it was up in the air.

Now a bit of history, this WIX filter was on the car for 6,000 kms approx.

Ever since I put on this filter the oil light always took twice as long to go out everytime I started the car, but figured I would just run it.

Checked my brakes, still have a few months life left so I'll plan that one better, already have discs and pads waiting.

The Conti TrueContacts are wearing dead even on both shoulders (they have handy wear indicators on the sides now, 3 little rectangles that are etched into the tire at different depths). This system works really well, I feel confident that I wont bother with an alignnemt with how the weels wear indicators were pretty even.)

So I drop my oil, and take off the oil filter, and tilted the filter at a 45 degree angle over my drain pan.

Oil just leaked out from the inlet holes at a very fast rate.

Now, from lots of experience, a filter usually stays heavy and has a load of oil held back behind the ADBV.

So, I am 100% certain that I had a lot of dry starts with this filter. Oh well.

When I looked at the ADBV closely, one side looked uneven, not centered perfectly.

Would have taken pics, but I was changing the oil on a dead end and like to work fast so the police don't tell me to beat it mid job.

This new WIX I replaced the old with, the oil light goes of extremely fast again as it always had prior to this one defective filter.

The oil in the pan didn't have a pile of metal flakes in it or anything abnormal so I am sure it is ok, but I won't make a habit in the future. I'll pull off the filter right away, put on a new one, and top off the oil and call it a loss to sleep better.

My advice, solidly, never run a filter longer than one OCI. Ever. Not worth the pennies saved as it seem defective filters aren't limited to any one brand it seems.

Still loyal to WIX, will be more careful in the future.

Originally Posted By: Falken

My advice, solidly, never run a filter longer than one OCI. Ever. Not worth the pennies saved as it seem defective filters aren't limited to any one brand it seems.

I always felt that way too. I read studies about leaving them on for two intervals, they filter better, you know all that good stuff. Bottom line you're leaving almost a qt of dirty oil behind, and if the filter is bad you give it a second chance to cause damage, extra wear, or worse. I'm with you I dump the oil the filter goes too.

I prefer to follow the manufactures recommendation using an OEM filter if going 2X changes. I'd like to know what car filter has a one quart oil capacity? All my filters appear to be ~ 1/4/quart. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I prefer to follow the manufactures recommendation using an OEM filter if going 2X changes. I'd like to know what car filter has a one quart oil capacity? All my filters appear to be ~ 1/4/quart. Ed

One of my rigs used an FL1A. That bad boy holds [censored] near a qt, and was mounted pretty much sideways. I wanted that oil out of there, and i wasn't going to remove it, drain, and re-use it. Ymmv.

Yeah a lot of V8 or I-6 filters hold a quart, or near to it. The International DT466E filter I changed not long ago held a full gallon :0

The filter for the GM LS V8 engines only holds about 8 oz. Best way to find out is to pre-fill a new filter and see exactly how many ounces it takes to fill it. And yes, some oil beyond what the filter holds may drain out of the oil galleries when the filter is removed. I've never owned a vehicle with a V8 where the difference between a filter change or not is 1 qt or more.

Folks, it really is good policy to change the filter with every oil change. That's just all there is to it. Is it backed with science, maybe not, but [censored]. It just seems like the right thing to do. I can't fathom doing differently.

Originally Posted By: rockydee
Originally Posted By: Eddie

One of my rigs used an FL1A. That bad boy holds [censored] near a qt, and was mounted pretty much sideways. I wanted that oil out of there, and i wasn't going to remove it, drain, and re-use it. Ymmv.

My 4.9L E-150 filter is just about mounted horizontally and holds about a qt. of oil, give or take. I change it every OCI, old habits die hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back