factory fill consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a new Hyundai Accent that I bought in August with 17 miles on it. Now, with 2000 miles on the odometer, it consumed about 1/2 qt of the factory fill. Official OCI is 3750 for severe driving, 7500 for normal. My driving is severe: many short trips, and exclusively city driving. What would you do?

a) Leave it alone and drive until the odometer hits 3750 miles.
b) Top off the oil and drive to 3750 miles.
c) Change the oil now.
d) Anything else.

I would also appreciate oil recommendations. I thought I would use QS dyno (5W-20).

Thanks,

I would change it to get rid of the break-in wear metals and then go a full OCI next time around while keeping your eye on consumption.

+1 as brentalan says. I always do this with a new car. Pick the oil you want to use at this point and go.

I'm a firm believer in getting the FF out early to remove wear metals. Opinions vary however. Having said that I never owned a new car that was filled with a "special break in oil" either.

It is not uncommon for a new car to use some oil. I would suggest that after you drop the oil take the car on the highway and get the engine nice and hot, and get on it a bit, varying speeds. Do this a few times when you have the free time, it will do the new engine good. JMO

+1 on changing it. Recommend that you use a Hyundai OEM Filter and your choice of 5W20 oil.

We use 5W20 oil in our Hyundai vehicles year around without any issues.

Thanks for the advice. I took it to the dealer yesterday and I had the oil changed. The only reason I didn't do it myself is because they offered me a free oil change. Long story short, those morons overfilled my crankcase by about 1/2 qt (or at least my dipstick is above the full mark by the amount that is about 1/2 of the distance of the "low" and the "full" marks).

It would be quite inconvenient to go back, besides I don't feel like arguing with them and them touching my car again. It would be still fairly inconvenient to drain that 1/2 qt in these freezing temperatures in the parking lot of my apartment complex. The thing that makes me concerned, that after I drove home, when I checked the dipstick, I also saw some foamy-oily substance high on the dipstick, well above the oil level. This is, after 15 miles of interstate driving from the dealer.

Will I be OK with the extra oil in it, or I absolutely must drain it?

Thanks again,

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
i think 1/2quart will be ok, no worries

If it is only half a quart.

The OP says "by about 1/2 qt (or at least my dipstick is above the full mark by the amount that is about 1/2 of the distance of the "low" and the "full" marks)."

Half the distance between low and full would be about 3/4" on most dipsticks. That's a pretty big overfill. Also the OP suggest that the oil may be foaming which is definitely a bad thing.

I'd put up with an overfill of about 1/4" max above the full mark but not more than that. I think the OP should definitely go back to the dealer and get them to rectify this.

One other thing that concerns me is the motivation for the overfill. It's a big error but is it merely incompetence or are they trying to mask any possible excess oil consumption. As in thinking that the owner wont check it for another 2000 miles and if it's burnt a quart he wont even notice (since we put an extra quart in).

Did you check the vehicle prior to driving it when it had only 17 miles on it? Many new cars/trucks are not always full up to the "full" line. I have had several new cars and trucks and I would estimate that 50% of them are not full up to the full line.

Lots of the oil guns are off slightly with age.I have run into this many times.Plus some techs click them off as it goes by the 5qt mark or what not and a little extra comes by.Its no big deal for you.That cost the dealer money as they are only charging/billing out X amount of money.Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.No one is adding more so it looks like the car uses less.Most decent shops don't have time for such stuff.In fact bring it to the managers attention he might just thank you.

I couldn't sleep well with the extra oil in it and I also didn't want those morons to touch my car again, so I drained the extra oil. In the parking lot. In the snow.

It was at least 1/2 qt, but it may have been closer to 3/4.

Last edited:
Like some people, I prefer to change out the FF early even though I acknowledge that there's no evidence that it's really needed to. My vote goes for going ahead and changing out the oil now. But if you'd rather wait, I'd say just top it up and you should be fine.

1/2 quart in 2k miles isn't too much, and I would assume this would settle down as everything breaks in and gets seated.

Originally Posted By: jagabom
"special break in oil"
Do manufactures actually use "special break in oil"? I wonder about that.

Jim
3000 mile OCI with dino. 99 GMC 4.3.

Yeah, some do, I want to say Honda is one of them. But if I remember correctly, the special break in oil is just normal oil with a heavy additive package, I want to say a ton of molybdenum. I don't recall any having additives that aren't found in other oils, it's just higher than usual numbers. ...though UOAs only test for certain additives so even if unconventional additives were being used they may not appear on a UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back