Factory Fill - 2011 Odyssey, 8k on Honda 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
8005 miles, factory fill
replaced w/ OEM filter and M1 0W20 rather than $9/qt OEM
message to change oil came ~ 7600 miles, IIRC. Said 15% life left at that time, and still when I changed it.

Cu 279
Fe 73
Cr 2
Al 17
Pb 5
Sn 1
Si 141
Na 12
K 8
Mo 616
Ni 0
Ca 1824
Mg 46
Zn 856
P 681

soot 0
Oxidation 0
Nitration 13
Sulfation 30
Water no
glycol no
V100 7.1

bronze = Cu + Zn, right? So would you guess there's bronze bearings breaking in? Not worried, just curious.

I usually like to change out the factory fill at about 1k miles, because of all the break in garbage suspended in the oil, but that's just me.

I think bronze is copper & tin (Sn), copper & zinc is brass. If that is correct, the copper could be a problem but the zinc could be an additive. Honda has zinc in their service fill 0W20 made by Conoco-Phillips as seen here...(thanx to mkchiu).

As far as how big of a problem that much copper is, I can't say. I would pull another sample at maybe 50% of the new fill and see what it shows then and go from their. Should be some other Honda UOAs on young engines to compare to.

I continue to be amazed at how much metal some of the J-series Honda engines throw when people leave the factory fill in until the OLM tells them it's time to go. Whether this is indicative of an engine that will not last as long as something like the I4 K-series Hondas, I don't know. Odyssey transmissions are known for being the weak point in the drivetrain package so the engine may not be the limiting factor.

I will be in the market for a new Odyssey in the next 1-3 years and will likely pull a sample through the dip stick tube around 1000 mi to see where things stand and whether changing it early makes sense. I'm curious to see if these engines leak the same amount of metal over a given period whether you change the factory fill out at 1000 miles, followed by incrementally increasing the OCI by something like 3000 mi, then 5000 mi and then go by the OCI if things have started to level out.

For comparison, my '08 Civic Si was Al 4/Fe 16/Cu 17/Pb 3/Mo 381/Si 62 after 4 months and 4146 miles on an agressive break-in.

Bronze bushings are everywhere in this engine. On the cam followers,piston pin bushings just to name a few. the first OCI can only show that the engine parts are seating in. This looks fine. FWIW--Oldtommy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back