Facebook video of inside of engine that didn't get an oil change for 60k miles

Surprised it lasted that long ( low on oil also ).

Reminds me of a couple we know who ruined their engine because they failed to replace the timing belt ( Hyundai SUV ) due to neglect.

Husband was an aircraft mechanic ( military ) who said he lets his wife ( I am 100% serious ) deal with all their vehicle maintenance.

They ended up trading it in and she is still in charge of maintenance ( metal chain now ).

Edit: they both look after their bodies ( exercise and eat healthy ).

Last edited:
Surprised it lasted that long ( low on oil also ).

Reminds me of a couple we know who ruined their engine because they failed to replace the timing belt ( Hyundai SUV ) due to neglect.

Husband was an aircraft mechanic ( military ) who said he lets his wife ( I am 100% serious ) deal with all their vehicle maintenance.

They ended up trading it in and she is still in charge of maintenance ( metal chain now ).

Edit: they both look after their bodies ( exercise and eat healthy ).
That is so funny. A friend of mine is a former US Air Force avaiation mechanic, and has been a AA aviation mechanic for the last 20+ years. This guy can and does fix/ build anything. He has done some unbeleivable complex work in repairing unrepairable stuff. But when it comes to his car, a Hyundai SUV--- he takes it to the dealer for every single thing. He simply doesn't want to mess with his car.

That is so funny. A friend of mine is a former US Air Force avaiation mechanic, and has been a AA aviation mechanic for the last 20+ years. This guy can and does fix/ build anything. He has done some unbeleivable complex work in repairing unrepairable stuff. But when it comes to his car, a Hyundai SUV--- he takes it to the dealer for every single thing. He simply doesn't want to mess with his car.
Same with the couple we know.

He simply hates working on cars.

Well, now I don’t feel bad given I have never even changed the oil on one of my cars ( I know how....just hate it ). I make sure someone else changes it, on time.

I change the oil in the small equipment but it’s a pain getting rid of the used oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
IMO, 5K OCIs are cheap insurance. 10K OCIs scare me, but each to their own.
Depends on the engine, and the oil.

10 quart sump capacity in a good-running German engine with MB 229.5? Absolutely no worries.

4 quart sump on a DI engine with other issues? Yeah, I’d probably go early on that…

He can't say for sure it never had a change in 60,000 miles. I'd say it had a least one if not two oil changes in 60,000 miles. That still looks better than the 90,000 mile Cadi I had,

202Left bank sludge.jpg

Back