Facebook Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Do you think people have time to talk to each of their 800 friends?

He doesn't have "800 friends".

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Perfectly normal. Do you think people have time to talk to each of their 800 friends?

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: crinkles
stay away from facebook.

Eactly. We agree for a change.

I am with you two. No FB, MySpace, Tweeting, etc... for me. New age bull puckey IMO.

Last edited:
I agree. I'm not looking for new ways to spend a lot of time sitting on my butt. I prefer real life things, doing things, being active, not sitting in front of the PC all day. FB is OK once in a while though to chat with old far away friends.

I resisted facebook for a long time, thought it was the dumbest thing since myspace.

Turns out it does have a use: A few family members and a few good friends of mine live out if state. It lets them (or us) keep up with what is going on in our lives. (More true if you have children) It lets my aunt see how my little guy is growing. And I do talk on the phone my my friend, but sometimes we might only catch each other on FB after the kids go to bed... I've also noticed it doesn't take long for classmates to find me either...

I'm not crazy about it, but sometimes it does have a use. Now the games, on the other hand, are a waste of time..

Originally Posted By: Lurch
I agree. I'm not looking for new ways to spend a lot of time sitting on my butt. I prefer real life things, doing things, being active, not sitting in front of the PC all day. FB is OK once in a while though to chat with old far away friends.

I'm taking a horseback riding lesson at this moment!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I resisted facebook for a long time, thought it was the dumbest thing since myspace.

Turns out it does have a use: A few family members and a few good friends of mine live out if state. It lets them (or us) keep up with what is going on in our lives. (More true if you have children) It lets my aunt see how my little guy is growing. And I do talk on the phone my my friend, but sometimes we might only catch each other on FB after the kids go to bed... I've also noticed it doesn't take long for classmates to find me either...

I'm not crazy about it, but sometimes it does have a use. Now the games, on the other hand, are a waste of time..

Just curious if it takes you as long to post pictures and write about the kids to FB as it would to e-mail the same info?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
That's normal facebook behavior as mentioned above. It's used to socialize frequently with a select few, but most of the time it's for the purpose of occasional contact and networking. A lot of times, after you do the initial reunion, there's not really much said anymore unless it's some sort of event going on.

Right, and for that reason it is good. FB is not a judgement upon the quality of a friendship or how well someone knows someone else.

Sure, I have friends on FB that I wasnt really friends with in HS for example, but it is still fun to see what people are up to. It is also fun to find "new" faces of folks whom you have not talked to in a long while.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Just curious if it takes you as long to post pictures and write about the kids to FB as it would to e-mail the same info?
grin.gif

It's less pushy. FB the friend is a client and "pulls" that info. I find mass emails, politically inspired ones, old memes, and stuff debunked on snopes, pretty aggravating in my inbox. They're a micro version of the annual "Xmas letter" on which I am neutral but my wife hates.

Some FB people will be on all the time with cell phone pics of their triple latte. Others will just do birth announcements. FB has lots of setting to ignore friends without hurting their feelings.

Facebook is a tool. It's uses are simple. Finding people that otherwise are difficult to find is one big use. It works pretty good for that. But it is correct that many users seem to behave oddly when contacted. While some long-lost 'friends' or schoolmates are happy to hear from you, many hardly even answer at all. It can be very disappointing......especially if you expected more and liked the individual. The anonymity of the internet allows for less than ideal social grace and I believe many users of Facebook take this to the extreme. One drawback of the site is that sometimes people will contact you that you would really rather not talk to. Sure, you don't have to accept them as friends.....but then you decide to be polite. Next thing you know you can't stand anything they say or post and wish you never accepted them.
All in all the behavior you noted is not unusual. Maybe the person is busy or had something happen? I would give them another chance and if it doesn't work out, just move on.

I only add people that i really know, or have known a long time ago, and know that it WILL be good be in contact again. Otherwise I just ignore the requests.

FB can be used well and sensibly. The user really determines if it gets silly/obnoxious etc...

If i do add someone who turns out to be annoying/obnoxious, the "hide' feature works great - one click and i never see that person or his/her posts again - i have done that perhaps twice so far since i started FB.

I am very glad to keep in contact and share photos and news with a lot of relatives/friends that live in other countries and also some school friends that i am in contact with again. FB really is good for things like that, and the chat feature is really nice when you can do it with people that live far away/overseas.

bottom line: user determines how well/bad FB experience is. It's very customizable, so there's really no excuse to not to make it work just the way you like it.

Some people just say 'I hate FB' as if it was a fashion - it's possible that they have no use (like i described above) - but that's not FB's fault, nor does it mean that people cannot use it in a serious/sensible manner. And one can do it without being on it ALL the time, for sure.

You always post something. Like umm... that you are off the medication and the docters tell that you are no longer dangerous.
grin.gif

Well maybe not. Really facebook is good for keeping up with
people and what is going in their lives but I can't all the nonsense babble that people talk about. Some use it to display a stream of conciousness or something.

I've not been a fan of Facebook, and doubt that I'd create an account.

Better half has an account and caught up with Gary, his wife and daughter regularly...

If it wasn't for facebook, she wouldn't have known of his passing.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
Hi,

Please give me your opinions.

About a month or two ago an old friend of mine requested to be my friend on FB, so I accepted. I haven't talked to the guy in 35 years or so.

Do you think it's odd that he requested to be friends and then has nothing to say to me?

Have you reached out to him since the request?

Some people are friend collectors and others just want to lurk and see what you are up to.

Anytime I connect with someone new I will post to their wall. If they are someone I had known in the past I will message them and see what they have been up to, and give a little about myself.

Then after that if they post much interesting stuff then I will comment. If all they do is play games and post stupid stuff then I will hide then (not unfriend them)

Social networking means many things to many people. The good news that FB is very accommodating for a wide array of people.

I enjoy connecting with all types of people, some from the past (like high school) and some that I do business with. Social networking is such a unique experience.

Oh, and this subject brings me to another subject.

Recently a girl asked to connect with me. At first I didn't recogize her name, so I went to look at our mutual friends, which was like 2. I noticed she was from near my home town in OHIO.

So more digging, and using the "way back machine" I began to recollect her face (I'm good with faces sucky with names)

Then is came to me. way back when I was 14 or 15, he and I did the "tango" it was my first time. So then I start to wonder if she remembered me all those years. It just seemed odd that she would ask to be my friend.

I accepted and sent some kind words her way, but didn't ask why she wanted to become my friend.

It was so weird because we only did the "Tango" once, honestly I had forgotten. I guess women never forget their "dance" partners.

Originally Posted By: msparks
It was so weird because we only did the "Tango" once... I guess women never forget their "dance" partners.

That's all "code" for something else, right?

Facebook cheapens what the word "friend" really means.

My friends are people who, when I want to catch up, I can call and speak to in person. I can meet them for coffee when they're in town, or we can pack up and take them to our lake house for a long weekend. Rather than look at some social networking site I'll call and ask how they're doing, it's much more personal to hear their voice or see them in person. If I don't care enough to call or talk to them in person then they probably aren't considered a friend.

A friend isn't some contact from 35 years ago who sits in front of a computer hoping to "reconnect" with old acquaintances. That's typical of people who have become superficial, without any real substance or knowledge of friendship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back