F35....just abandon the program already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
I'm sure you've heard the term 'too big to fail'.

There is no way the F-35 is not going to be put into service. It could cost us 10 times the original estimate (it might!) and it will still happen.They can't turn back. They can't make more F-22's either. They are committed to the F-35 program as much of a mess as it is.

The real problem is that no lessons will be learned from it. They know what the problems were/are but the F-35 program is now the new normal, the low bar to hit. Everyone is complaining but it will happen again.

Couldn't have said it better myself. People don't understand that the f-22 has its fair share of issues and how much did development cost for that program? And for what? The US has a fleet of less than 200 if I could guess and that's about it. At least In this case there are customers lined up for the f-35 including UK, Israel, turkey, Japan, etc.

The f-35 WILL replace much of the inventory we have today one way or another they will make it work. I have faith it will be one of the best stealth air superiority fighters out there. Sure it will be way over budget but we are helping fund American companies that are manufacturing a huge portion of the components going into the f-35.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
ZERO possibility the government will abandon the F-35.
If they did..... what *new* aircraft would take its role ?

The military could probably get 737 MAX 8s cheap now

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Virtus_Probi,

The 737 MAX is an excellent airframe to install pylons for the JDAM bombs and .50 Caliber Gatling guns...

39.gif

Have the USAF patrolling the Persian Gulf 24/7/365 for any troublemakers.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

And NO, I'm not kidding.

I know you guys are joking but the navy already had their own version of the 737 in the Boeing p-8 aircraft.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Too many chefs in the kitchen during development of that jet.

Ya, One too many and that chef was the USMC with their VSTOL requirement. From what I understand this feature requires numerous compromises. I understand why the USMC has jets but I don't believe it holds water today.

Last edited:
Abandoning a weapons system that has problems isn't the way
military contracts seem to work. No matter how much the tax payers have
to fork over to repair, up-date, or improve a weapons system, it's stays.
IIRC the F-18 was similarly problematic in the beginning.

My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back