F150 Orange Coolant to Yellow

The other side of the coin is Ford manufactured sub standard heater cores.

I don't think anyone knows for sure. It's my understanding the TSB arose out of block heater issues and was expanded to a smaller number of heater cores. Was it the heater core? Or is it the relation of the orange coolant to that heater core? Chicken or the egg? I'm doing the flush in mine to avoid future potential issue. Not because there is a present issue with it.

I have my Mustang and my mom's 2014 Fusion to change over at some point. I might just go all pre-mix to make it easier on myself.
Being in California that’s probably OK, but consider that your flush fluid will probably be potable water, or distilled water. You’ll still have it in your block and the 50/50 will get diluted. Want a simple recipe that all the brain surgeons at Bitog will hate? Flush your system, then fill up with 100% antifreeze. Fill the expansion bottle with 100% antifreeze. Drive it around. It will mix with the water in the block and you’ll be surprising close to 50/50. :)

Being in California that’s probably OK, but consider that your flush fluid will probably be potable water, or distilled water. You’ll still have it in your block and the 50/50 will get diluted. Want a simple recipe that all the brain surgeons at Bitog will hate? Flush your system, then fill up with 100% antifreeze. Fill the expansion bottle with 100% antifreeze. Drive it around. It will mix with the water in the block and you’ll be surprising close to 50/50. :)
1608829613640.png
=Snagglefoot.
But in all seriousness this method has done me justice a couple times.

The block drains on the Mustang are easily accessible so I will be pulling those. I haven't looked much on the Fusion yet. I also need to do my truck, but that cooling system still looks like mud.

Has the Ford Orange caused problems in heater cores in any other models besides the Transit?

I used PGL in my 2014 Focus when I changed it last year....I stuck with Dexcool (Pentosin Pentofrost SF which I bought
at the AZ Clearance a few years ago) in my 2016 Escape because I had it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Motorcraft Yellow is re-labled Prestone Cor-Guard which does contain 2-EHA....(and phosphates...unlike the Orange)...

I will have to have it done to my 2014 Mustang GT at some point. I had the dealer flush and refill my coolant almost two years ago and they used the orange coolant.

I don't think anyone knows for sure. It's my understanding the TSB arose out of block heater issues and was expanded to a smaller number of heater cores. Was it the heater core? Or is it the relation of the orange coolant to that heater core? Chicken or the egg? I'm doing the flush in mine to avoid future potential issue. Not because there is a present issue with it.

My 2015 Transit has run the Ford orange from the start. It got new coolant at 80k when the engine was replaced. It just got another fresh load of orange coolant after an upper radiator hose burst. While I've never had trouble with the heater core, front or rear, I'll probably switch to the Prestone Core Guard this spring or summer. It is much less expensive and it looks like it promises everything Ford does and maybe more. (300k miles). Even with that stuff, though, my personal preference is to drain and refill my cooling systems every 5 years. I've never once had a heater core plug up. I've replaced 2 radiators, though, due to leaks that I believe were unrelated to the coolant. (99 Mercedes and 2008 Jeep).

So is the consensus that the new Prestone Core Guard is indeed the new Ford yellow?

It looks like the Prestone with Core Guard has been replaced with Prestone 10 year All Vehicle. At least, I have not seen the Core Guard product on the shelves any more up here.

D3355691-D7ED-4BBC-8232-F9FB707FBBCA.jpeg01E0C052-80C1-4F26-AB16-50A01A454482.jpeg

Last edited:
There was a big span where Ford didn't use orange in the US. It was only used in a few models in the 99-02 range and then not at all until 2011.
the US version of the ford cougar had it probably so they only needed one type of coolant at the factory.

when one ford became a thing it was a pretty obvious choice to ditch aging G05 for cheap and effective dexcool

I ended up doing a radiator drain/fill today. Ended up with 7 quarts of the 13.9 (why not just 14???) textbook capacity. I'll do another in the Fall. Pretty easy BUT I do wish there was a bleeder valve to help dissipate air. If there is one and I missed please let me know. I couldn't find it.

Our Canadian Tire store went “all in” with Prestone 10 year. I think I found the last jug of “ Core Guard” but it’s not stocked there any more. Price is in Canadian dollars. Multiply by 0.7 for USD dollars.

1D7208D4-B97E-4E94-A858-20A956CCFBEF.jpeg

Back